HELP SHEET #11 – updated October 12, 2011.
This Loyalty Traveler post is the 11th update for 2011 hotel loyalty promotions and includes about 30 new promotion offers and Loyalty Traveler research posts since the September 9 update.
Offers marked with an asterisk (*) were added since the last update September 9.
Most hotel loyalty promotions are two to four months in duration and I try to update this post each month to summarize the best offers.
Links to my Loyalty Traveler posts provide more detail and promotion analysis for each offer.
Scroll over the calendar on left side of Loyalty Traveler blog to see daily posts for new promotion offers since last HELP sheet hotel promotions summary.
Hotel Brands: Sofitel, Pullman, M Gallery, Novotel, Mercure, Ibis, Adagio, All Seasons, Thalassa Spa.
* A|Club Jackpot Facebook Game for a chance to win 25,000 points or one million points October 6-November 15, 2011. LT post October 9.
* A|Club Free Gold Status promotion code. LT post October 9.
* Le Club Accorhotels to replace A|Club loyalty program for Accor. Ibis incorporates All Seasons and and Etap to become mega-brand. Loyalty Traveler post on changes Sep 18, 2011.
Motel 6 is the primary Accor Hotels brand in USA, however, extremely limited A-Club hotel loyalty program participation. A|Club repeats last year’s promotion allowing redemption of A|Club vouchers for stays at North America Motel 6 hotels from June 1 – October 31. LT post June 29.
Accor Hotels is the largest chain of hotel brands globally outside of the USA.
Accor 10th Anniversary World Tour Giveaway – One monthly trip consisting of Round the World flights and hotel stays in 10 cities over 30 to 40 days. Ten prizes each month for a hotel stay. (11 prizes each month from March through December 2011). LT post March 30.
Accor A|Club Global Promotion Offers List – link (This link allows searches by continent region)
Amtrak Guest Rewards (loyalty program allows transfers to Choice Privileges and Hilton HHonors points)
Hotel Brand Tiers: Best Western, Best Western Plus, Best Western Premier
Best Western 2x points for two stays or 3x for two stays in two BW tier hotels from September 12 – November 21, 2011. Non-elites may earn bonus two times (4 stays) and elite members may earn bonus four times (8 stays). Registration link www.bestwestern.com/fall. Loyalty Traveler post August 30.
Best Western International Offers webpage link. The link provides a variety of promotions internationally for Best Western hotels.
Best Western Hotel Specific Bonus Points in U.S.
Best Western Rewards Elite Status Match Offer (February 19, 2010) This offer is ongoing and still available. Best Western is a particularly useful loyalty program when traveling outside the USA. Best Western and Accor A-Club have more hotels outside the USA than all the other major hotel programs combined including Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott and
Best Western Brand Tiers Change – Best Western in 2011 designated about 25% of the chain’s higher quality hotels in the 4,000+ hotel chain as Best Western Plus (about 800 hotels) and Best Western Premier (about 100 hotels, mostly outside U.S.).
Hotel Brands: Radisson Blu, Radisson, Country Inn & Suites, Park Inn, Park Plaza
* Free Night promotion with Country Inns & Suites 2-night or longer stay Sunday through Thursday in US or Canada from October 2 – December 1, 2011. Free night certificate is valid for any US or Canada Country Inns & Suites hotel for stays from December 15, 2011 – February 15, 2012. There is no limit to free night certificates earned. LT post Sep 16. (4-key offer).
Club Carlson 9,000 points for 3-day car rental with Avis by December 31, 2011. LT Post Sep 7. (See comments section of LT post for link to Budget Car Rental promotion for 9,000 points).
These Loyalty Traveler posts describe changes with Club Carlson launch March 31, 2011:
Club Carlson Hotel Category Reassignment Analysis – Overview and Category 1 Hotels (April 7) – This post has links to posts for each Club Carlson Hotel Reward category with tables showing the new Club Carlson reward category and the former Goldpoints Plus reward category.
Club Carlson Hotel Reward Category Analysis (Feb 28) This post shows the number of hotels in each category and changes from 2010 level for different global regions.
Club Med resort credit for goldpoints. $100, $250 and $500 credit. (March 10).
Club Carlson online booking bonus – Club Carlson general members earn 1,000 bonus points for online booking. Silver and Gold elite members earn 2,000 bonus points for online booking. Concierge elite members earn 3,000 points. Club Carlson Benefits table link.
Hotel Brands: Comfort Inn, Comfort Suites, Quality, Sleep Inn, Clarion, Cambria Suites, MainStay
Suites, Suburban, EconoLodge, Rodeway Inn, Ascend Collection.
Hotel Reward Partners:
Preferred Hotels Group, Barcelo Resorts
4X Points for stays August 25-November 3, 2011. Earn 40 points/$1 at most brands, 20 points/$1 at Econolodge, Rodeway, Suburban and MainStay brands. 4-key promotion offer from Choice. LT post August 21.
* Choice Privileges 1,000 Bonus Points for Mobile Bookings October 1-November 15, 2011. LT post Oct 11.
Choice Privileges Refer-a-Friend Promotion for 1,000 points for you and new member you refer after new member’s first hotel stay (through December 31, 2011).
Choice Privileges reward night cost analysis. Using a spreadsheet of 2010 reward cost, I calculated the percentage of hotels in various reward levels worldwide from 6,000 points to 40,000 points. This is the only breakdown of hotel reward tiers I have ever seen for Choice Hotels. Loyalty Traveler post May 1, 2011.
Choice Privileges Program Changes for Elite Members effective January 1, 2011:
Program enhancements for elites.
- Platinum elite qualification = 20 nights in a calendar year (formerly 25 nights).
- Diamond elite bonus increased to 50% base points (formerly 40%). Reward night booking window extended for Choice Privileges elite members:
- Gold = 50 days (formerly 40 days)
- Platinum = 75 days (formerly 60 days)
- Diamond = 100 days (formerly 90 days)
Nordic Choice Club hotel loyalty program covers 140 Choice hotels in Scandinavia and Baltic regions of Europe. Choice Privileges members currently do not earn points for hotel stays in Scandinavia, although hotel stays are available for points. Nordic Choice Club offers points and benefits for hotels in this region. Choice Privileges members planning frequent travel in Scandinavia may want to compare the benefits of Nordic Choice Club to Choice Privileges. (LT post Sep 9, 2010)
Drury Hotels are the #1 rated midscale limited service hotel brand by J.D. Power Guest Satisfaction Survey six consecutive years including 2010 and 2011. This hotel brand is headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri and properties are primarily located in Midwest and South.
* Drury Hotels Double Points September 20 – November 20, 2011. LT post Sep 21.
1,000 bonus points for enrollment in Drury Gold Key Club (ongoing).
E-Saver Discount rates for Drury Hotels.
Vacation and Hotel Discount Coupons for Drury Hotels in St. Louis, Kansas City, Columbus, San Antonio and Atlanta. There are $10 and $15 per night discounts at select hotels on this page.
Expedia.com – Expedia Rewards
Expedia’s new loyalty program earns points for air, hotel and travel package bookings. This is a gamechanger for online travel agencies. Booking airfare through Expedia is a no brainer method for earning additional travel rebates since frequent flyer benefits are unaffected. Hotels are a different matter though since no hotel loyalty points with programs like SPG, Marriott, Hilton and others are earned for Expedia bookings.
Main Expedia Rewards benefits are the ability to earn points when booking travel for other people like family members and friends. And Expedia vacation packages often allow a hotel night to be added for the same price as airfare alone; particularly when traveling to Las Vegas. Loyalty Traveler Analysis March 28.
Tip: Sign up for Fairmont President’s Club to receive monthly special discount rates for Fairmont Hotels.
Four Seasons Special Offers website link
Global Hotel Alliance – GHA Discovery – Hotel loyalty program alliance for 14 independent hotel brands including Omni Hotels, Pan Pacific, Kempinski Hotels, First Hotels, Mirvac, Anantara Resorts, Tivoli Hotels, The Doyle Collection, Marco Polo Hotels, Park Royal, The Leela Palaces, Shaza Hotels, Mokara Hotels & Spa, and Lungarno Collection.
Overview of GHA Discovery, elite membership benefits and local experiences, Loyalty Traveler post January 30.
10 Hotel Brands: Hilton, Doubletree, Embassy Suites, Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Homewood Suites, Conrad, Waldorf-Astoria Collection, Hampton Inn, and Home2Suites.
* Hilton HHonors Fast Ways to Free Stays offers a free night every 4 stays or 10 nights October 1 -December 31, 2011. Double points is an alternate choice. LT analysis Sep 26.
* HHonors Points & Money Rewards Analysis – Loyalty Traveler post October 3. This post shows the HHonors Points & Money rate table that was removed from HHonors website within a few hours after publishing this Loyalty Traveler post.
* HHonors Premium Rewards Analysis – Loyalty Traveler Research October 10. This post also looks at using HHonors flexible dates tool to find low Hilton rates.
* United Airlines Mileage Plus 1,000 bonus miles for two-night stays October 1 – December 11, 2011. Bonus may be earned five times for 5,000 bonus miles. LT post October 3.
* Delta Airlines SkyMiles Double Miles + 250 MQM for two-night stays October 1 – December 11, 2011. No earning limit. LT post October 4.
Hilton HHonors Gold elite fast-track for Carlson Wagonlit Travel customers. Earn HHonors Gold elite after four stays within 90 days of promotion registration. This offer has an end date of 12/31/2013 so might be best to wait until January 2012 to register for Gold elite through 2013. Loyalty Traveler post Sep 6.
* New Hilton Hotels in 2011. Loyalty Traveler survey of 34 Hilton Hotels recently opened (LT post Sep 14).
* New Doubletree Hotels in 2011. LT post Sep 17.
Hilton HHonors London 2012 Olympics Sweepstakes. Register for one free entry and additional entries for each hotel night July 25-October 31, 2011. LT post August 8, 2011.
HHonors Gold VIP elite after 4 stays or 9 nights in 90 days at U.S. hotels with Hilton HHonors MVP. Promotion registration required.
HHonors Point Stretcher Rewards posted for hotels through December 2011. Point Stretchers require 40% fewer points than standard HHonors rewards. Use the drop-down menu to see participating hotels in different Hilton brands. The Point Stretcher hotel awards were updated in early June.
Home2Suites opens first hotel of Hilton’s new extended stay brand in Fayetteville, North Carolina. Unfortunately this new hotel brand becomes the first HHonors brand with a lower earn rate for points and miles. Loyalty Traveler post March 21.
HHonors Comprehensive Reward Charts – Members have difficulty locating the various reward charts on the Hilton HHonors sites, particularly VIP Rewards and Waldorf-Astoria rates. This Loyalty Traveler post places all the HHonors reward charts in one post. (LT post Sep 13, 2010)
Cheaper Hilton Reward nights using Priority Club points – this Loyalty Traveler analysis developed from the Priority Club Anywhere Challenge. Hotels Anywhere allows Priority Club members to spend points for hotels in other chains. My study shows there are numerous Hilton Hotels requiring fewer Priority Club points than Hilton HHonors charges its members in HHonors points for the same reward. (LT post Sep 17, 2010.)
HHonors Program change: Gold and Diamond members receive complimentary internet at all Hilton Worldwide hotels beginning September 1, 2010. (Hilton – Aug 2 press release)
Hotels.com Welcome Rewards
Earn a free night for every 10 nights.
Hotels.com Great Unloyaling Promotion – earn free night after booking first hotel stay with Hotels.com by November 15, 2011. Must show evidence of hotel stays in three different major loyalty programs since Jan 1, 2011 or five stays in any program. LT promotion analysis August 7, 2011. 5-Key promotion offer.
Hotel Brands: Park Hyatt, Hyatt Regency, Grand Hyatt, Hyatt Vacation Club, Hyatt Resorts, Andaz, Hyatt Summerfield Suites
* Hyatt Possibilities – Earn 5,000 bonus points for every 3 nights, up to 30,000 bonus points Sep 15-Nov 15, 2011. This is one of the best promotions for the next two months since it rewards extended stays, hotel hops, and low rate hotel stays. Loyalty Traveler post August 29.
* Southwest Airlines triple points for 1,800 points per Hyatt brand stay October 1 – January 15, 2012. LT post Sep 23. This offer may be combined with 5,000 points every 3 nights Hyatt Possibilities promotion.
* Loyalty Traveler Sweepstakes for 5,000 Hyatt Gold Passport points. Enter by 12 noon Pacific time, Sunday October 16. One entry per person. LT post October 11.
* Hyatt House new brand to replace Summerfield Suites. LT post Sep 20.
Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond elite member enhancements and 43 hotel reward reassignments (25 up, 18 down) effective September 1, 2011. LT post July 28, 2011.
Hyatt adds annual anniversary free night benefit for Hyatt VISA card renewal members valid for one night in category 1 to category 4 reward hotel. LT post August 5, 2011.
Hotel Brands: InterContinental Hotels, Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Staybridge Suites, Candlewood Suites, Hotel Indigo
Priority Club Fall 80,000 bonus points promotion for 500 points per night and potential for 2x, 3x or 4x points based on staying in two, three or four IHG brands from Sep 15 – Dec. 31, 2011. LT Analysis August 13, 2011 and September 20 post for miles information and promotion details.
* InterContinental Ambassador members earn 10,000 bonus points with stays in four different InterContinental Hotels September 1 – November 30, 2011. Earn 2,000 bonus points on first three stays and 4,000 bonus points on 4th stay. Applies only to new reservations after promotion registration. LT post Sep 10.
* IHG Europe Discount Rates – 2 nights for the price of 1 rates and Up to 35% off for weekend stays in Europe through December 31. These rates are prepaid and nonrefundable with no changes allowed. T&C also state no points. These are ongoing offers for past few years. Loyalty Traveler analyzed current discount rates in Sep 22 post: Better Know a Rate: IHG Discounts for Europe.
* Priority Club PointBreaks through November 30, 2011 are probably the best hotel loyalty program reward night value available at 5,000 points for a free night. Many of the hotels are discounted 80% from their normal 25,000 points for a reward night. I took advantage of two of these nights the week after the latest list posted and saved over $200 for 10,000 Priority Club points. LT post September 19, 2011 (5-key offer.)
* IHG First Night Free Best Rate Guarantee new policy. LT post Sep 22.
IHG Priority Club Last Minute Reward Nights are posted the week before the first weekend of the month. Hotels
are only posted for a few days and must be booked by Thursday prior to the Friday through Sunday first full weekend of the month dates. LT post June 30 and LT post August 2 and LT post October 4.
IHG Priority Club relaunch previews new reward option for Last Minute Hotel Nights at 50% points of standard reward night. Other changes are primarily cosmetic with new mobile apps, card redesign and website changes. Loyalty traveler post March 29.
IHG Priority Club partnership with Las Vegas Resorts – The Venetian and The Palazzo become InterContinental Alliance hotel partners as of April 1, 2011. Priority Club points can be earned and burned (40,000 points per night) for hotel stays and InterContinental Ambassador benefits apply.
InterContinental Ambassador Accelerator – 20,000 points after 15 nights at InterContinental Hotels. Registration required.
Priority Club Any Hotel Anywhere American Express gift cards.
New Price for Any Hotel, Anywhere Cards Loyalty Traveler post Jan 25.
- $100 = 33,000 points (formerly 29,000)
- $125 = 39,000 points (formerly 34,000)
- $150 = 45,000 points (formerly 39,000)
- $200 = 60,000 points (formerly 49,000)
- $250 = 72,000 points (formerly 59,000)
IHG Sweetheart Deal – $100 Visa card rebate for a three-day or longer stay at any IHG hotel worldwide within 90 days of 2011 wedding in U.S. or Canada. (LT Jan 11)
Cheaper Hilton Reward nights using Priority Club points – Hotels Anywhere allows Priority Club members to spend points for hotels in other chains. My study shows there are numerous Hilton Hotels requiring fewer Priority Club points than Hilton HHonors charges its members in HHonors points. (LT post Sep 17, 2010)
IHG Friend & Family Hotel Rates (Steve Sickel). Steve Sickel is senior Vice President Relationship Marketing for InterContinental Hotels Group. During the hotel recession of 2009 he offered this link to FlyerTalk members for booking discount friends and family rates. This link is still active. And we are all friends of Steve’s. Here is a FlyerTalk thread discussing this rate deal. The link in Steve Sickel’s name leads to the offer page for a voucher to complete. Some guests mention the hotel wants the completed voucher at check-in. These rates do not qualify for points or stay credit. One of the best features of this offer is the ability to book high category rooms at steep discount.
Priority Club Points Exchange Value and Points.com – Loyalty traveler research (Jan 20) into the exchange value of Priority Club points into airline miles through Points.com
Kimpton Hotels – InTouch
Loyalty Traveler posted an outline of Kimpton’s InTouch program showing how 21 stays in 2011 can potentially earn 7 free
nights at any Kimpton Hotel. (LT post Jan 11)
La Quinta Hotels – La Quinta Returns
Hotel chain and hotel loyalty program overview by Loyalty Traveler April 12, 2011.
* New La Quinta Returns members earn Gold elite after two nights within 60 days of enrollment. Two nights may be one stay. Gold elite promotion offer for new enrollments through December 31, 2011. This offer was extended from August 31, but keep in mind these offers are sometimes withdrawn early.
Leading Hotels of the World (LHW) – Leaders Club Rewards
Leaders Club Rewards program changes: Membership fees for Leaders Club Rewards dropped to $100 annual for Access level. Access membership includes complimentary breakfast for two each day of stay and free internet.
Unlimited membership is $1,200 annually. Loyalty traveler post Feb 3.
Earn a free night after every 5 stays with stays in at least two LHW properties by December 31, 2011.
Hotel Brands: Marriott, JW Marriott, Renaissance, Ritz-Carlton, Residence Inn, Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, TownePlace Suites, SpringHill Suites, Edition, Autograph Collection, Marriott Vacation Club, AC Hotels.
* Earn 2,000 US Airways bonus miles per Marriott, JW Marriott or Renaissance stay in US, Canada and Mexico through December 26, 2011. Bonus may be earned five times for 10,000 bonus miles. LT post Sep 10, 2011.
More Stays, More Miles offers 1,000 to 2,000 bonus miles per stay from Sep 1- Dec 31 and unlike MegaBonus, does not require VISA payment. Delta, United, British Airways, Miles & More, LanPass and Varig airlines. Loyalty Traveler post August 31, 2011.
Earn 1,200 Southwest Airlines Rapid Reward Points for every $100 in Marriott Gift Cards purchased between August 17 to October 31, 2011. Limit of 12,000 Southwest points for $1,000 in gift cards. Loyalty Traveler post August 22.
Instant Silver elite status for Asia-Pacific region members. This promotion is valid for those with a residential / business postal address in Australia, China, Guam, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand and Vietnam. Marriott registration link. Loyalty Traveler post September 13.
Marriott Rewards Earn one free night at a category 1 to 4 hotel reward after two hotel stays paid with VISA September 15, 2011 – January 15, 2012. Registration deadline for this promotion is October 31, 2011. This offer may be earned two times during promotion for two free nights. Active Marriott Rewards members may be targeted for a points offer based on 15 to 25 nights. Loyalty Traveler post August 16.
New Autograph Collection Hotels are joining Marriott Rewards with six Boscolo Hotels in Italy, Prague and Budapest. LT post August 1.
Program Change: All Marriott Rewards members receive complimentary internet at Asia-Pacific region hotels. Loyalty Traveler post May 2, 2011.
AC Hotels is Marriott’s newest hotel brand. AC Hotels are a Madrid-based hotel chain now partnered with Marriott and brings 90 new upscale hotels in Spain, Italy and Portugal into the Marriott Rewards system. This brand is projected to expand in Europe and Latin America. Loyalty Traveler post March 27. AC Hotels start earning Marriott Rewards points beginning November 8, 2011.
Marriott Rewards Hotel Category Assignment Changes for 2011 (Loyalty Traveler March 2)
* Marriott Rewards PointSavers –PointSavers reduce the points cost of a free night by one hotel category. For example, category 5 hotel requires only 20,000 points per night priced at category 4 rate. 5th night free rewards rate also applies to PointSavers rate. LT post Sep 26, 2011.
Marriott Points Redemption Strategy using $1,000 in Marriott Cheques. This post explains how Marriott elite members may buy $1,000 Marriott Cheques for 135,000 points. You can then pay for hotel stays and earn points and elite credit on paid stays you actually purchased indirectly with points. Loyalty Traveler post Jan 27.
Marriott Rewards Elite Rollover Nights extended for 2011. This is the third year Marriott Rewards offers elite rollover nights for elite qualifying nights over your earned elite membership. For example: Silver elite requires 10 nights in calendar year and Gold elite takes 50 nights. Stay 25 nights in 2011 and the 15 nights above Silver elite rollover to 2012 membership year. You will have earned Silver elite for 2013 from your 15 extra nights in 2011 rolled over to 2012. Confused? Don’t worry. This is a great benefit for elite members. (Loyalty Traveler 5-key offer. LT post Dec 23, 2010.)
Program change – Free internet worldwide for Gold and Platinum Marriott Rewards members beginning January 2011. This expands the complimentary internet benefit offered to elites for hotel stays in the Americas since May 2010.
Omni Hotels – Omni Select Guest
Member benefits include complimentary in-room Wi-Fi, shoe shine and morning beverage delivery.
Earn a free night after every 10 nights or earn 500 miles per hotel stay.
Preferred Hotels Group – I Prefer
I Prefer and Preferred Hotels Group special offers page.
Red Lion Hotels – 44 hotels in western U.S.
Red Lion Double Points and Free Breakfast promotion code = RLDOUBLE (through Dec 31, 2011)
(Marriott Rewards partner brand)
Ritz-Carlton Rewards Visa – 50,000 points enrollment offer and Gold elite first year. Maintain Gold elite with $10,000 annual spending. Three confirmed Club level upgrades per year and other benefits. Loyalty Traveler post June 13.
Ritz-Carlton Rewards loyalty program launching Sep 15, 2010 (LT post Sep 14, 2010.)
Reward Changes in new Ritz-Carlton Reward Tiers (LT post Sep 15, 2010.)
Ritz-Carlton rewards Hotel + Air Packages Analysis (LT post Sep 16, 2010.)
Starwood Hotels brands: Sheraton, Westin, W Hotels, Le Meridien, Luxury Collection, St. Regis, Four Points, Element, Aloft.
* New SPG Member Benefit – Award Stays Earn SPG Elite Qualification Credit as of October 1, 2011. Loyalty Traveler analysis Sep 29.
* Earn Your Dreams promotion offers 3,000 points for a Suite (Rate code EYD3K) booking or 3x points for upgraded rooms (rate code EYDTRP) through December 31 at participating hotels in US and Canada. Loyalty Traveler post Sep 12.
SPG 2x or 3x points for stays Sep 6 – Dec 18, 2011. Double points for all stays at participating hotels and triple points for any stay with a Sunday or Thursday night. About 25% of Starwood Hotels opted out, so check non-participating hotels list carefully. Loyalty Traveler post August 28.
* Earn 1,000 Membership Rewards bonus points August 10-November 15, 2011 for stays at Four Points, Aloft and Element. Promotion registration required and payment must be with American Express card enrolled in Membership Rewards (excludes SPG AmEx card). Loyalty Traveler post September 13.
* Loyalty Traveler Research on using SPG website Compare Rates and Calendar Tools to find low Starwood rates. LT post Oct 10.
Double dip for Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards points and SPG points by earning 1,000 Rapid Rewards points per stay at Sheraton, Four Points, Aloft and Element hotels in North America from August 1-December 15, 2011 in addition to normal earning for Starpoints. Must register by October 15. Loyalty Traveler promotion analysis August 4, 2011.
Starpicks discount rates for following three to six weeks post each Tuesday. Prepaid, nonrefundable and no changes. Must book by Friday each week.
Loyalty Traveler analysis of Starwood Preferred Guest Airline Direct Deposit program for Mileage Plus members and others interested in earning miles rather than points from hotel stays. (August 4, 2011)
Starwood Preferred Guest Hotel Category reward assignment changes for 2011 took effect on March 1. My LT post (Feb 22, 2011) has a list ordered by city, state and country for changes.
Starwood Hotels data on number of hotels in each brand and average rates by brand and global region. Loyalty traveler post Feb 4.
Starwood Hotels Policy Change: Sheraton Hotel Club Lounges will be open 7 days a week in 2011.
Starwood Preferred Guest – American Express credit card changes effective October 14, 2010. The annual fee increased to $65 from $45 for renewals Oct 14, 2010. Benefit changes included 5 elite nights and 2 elite stays credit each year. The SPG50 certificate was discontinued in favor of a 3rd night free offer at Sheraton Hotels. Loyalty traveler post (August 24, 2010); Sheraton 3rd Night Free Analysis (Nov 12, 2010)
* Starwood Hotel Rate Discount Codes for Multiple Night Stays. 3-key or sometimes a 5-key discount rates
These offers for rate discounts on extended stays of 2 to 6 nights have been around for several years, but are not well advertised on Starwood site. Third night free tends to be one of the best discount rates. Important to check other rates (AAA, Senior, Special Offers) as these discounts are generally based on the Best Available Rate (BAR) and may not be the lowest overall rate for some hotels. Loyalty Traveler rate analysis Sep 21, 2011 – Better Know a Rate Z3H and Z3R and other extended stay promo codes.
Stash Hotel Rewards
Stash Hotel Rewards New Member Enrollment 1,000 bonus points link.
Stash Rewards is a one year old loyalty program for over 100 independent upscale hotels in the U.S. Loyalty Traveler post Jan 19. Loyalty Traveler has found the hotel partners with Stash Rewards in Monterey and Washington D.C. are great choices for hotel travelers seeking independent hotels with loyalty benefits. Stash Rewards offers points for many high quality independent hotels that previously had no loyalty program affiliation.
Stash Hotel Specials for Bonus Points and Low Redemption Rate Hotels
* Swissôtel Circle is the newly relaunched loyalty program for Swissotel Hotels and Resorts as of August 15, 2011. The Swissotel Circle loyalty program includes 30 Swissotel Hotels, Fairmont Hotels and Raffles. This Sep 9, 2011 Loyalty Traveler post is an overview of the hotel loyalty program, elite levels and benefits.
Voila Hotel Rewards
Loyalty Traveler profiled Voila Hotels program after signing two New York former Starwood W Hotels as the initial hotel members in the USA for this international loyalty program for 250 independent hotels.
Double Elite Qualification Nights through December 31, 2011. Mid-tier elite takes just 5 nights and top-tier elite requires only 10 nights for benefits like early and late checkout, complimentary upgrades and hotel executive lounge access. Registration required. LT post Sep 8.
Wyndham Brands: Wyndham, Wingate, Hawthorn Suites, Ramada, Days Inn, Super 8, Howard Johnson, Travelodge, Baymont Suites, Microtel, Knights Inn, Tryp.
* Wyndham Rewards Cash Back and Double Points or Miles Sep 15-Nov 18, 2011. Double points or miles limited to 3 stays. $20 Cash Back evey other stay up to 6 stays. LT post Sep 16.
* European members – Wyndham Rewards 8,800 bonus points every two stays, up to six stays, Sep 15-Nov 18, 2011. LT post Sep 16.
Loyalty Traveler Five Key Promotion Scale
Loyalty Traveler ranks the consumer value of some hotel loyalty promotions on a Five Key Scale.
Five Keys = one of the best hotel loyalty promotions of the year.
Four Keys = high value rebate on the cost of hotel stays.
Three Keys = good value hotel loyalty promotion or rate offer
Two Keys = a bonus value if you play, but not necessarily worth going out of your way.
One Key = There is limited or no value. You are likely paying more than the bonus value.
Rate discounts and loyalty program bonuses are two types of hotel chain incentives to consider when booking travel.
Rankings are subjective and subject to change. Your specific travel pattern may result in some promotions ranking more favorably for you.
When assigning a key rank I take into consideration the following factors and probably more:
- The opportunity for significantly high-value return on hotel spend
in terms of future hotel rebate in free nights and discounted hotel nights.
- Current loyalty program promotions and offers from other hotel
- Past loyalty program offers and rates for the specific hotel chain
and loyalty program.
- Current economic conditions in the hotel location and travel
Loyalty Traveler Research Articles
PointHub.com gives loyalty travelers Cash vs. Points Hotel and Airline Recommendations (August 11, 2011). This new beta version website shows the cost in loyalty points for a free hotel night alongside the hotel rate and makes a recommendation for your travel dates. Airlines are also rated.
Room77.com hotel room views compared to my photos. Loyalty Traveler website analysis June 22.
Comparing the value of hotel program points – compares Hyatt, Priority Club and Hilton programs, then discusses how I am planning summer travel using free night promotions. (May 2, 2011)
Hotel Loyalty Credit Cards and the Value of Hotel Points
Best Hotel Credit Cards for Low Spenders (August 5, 2011)
Loyalty Traveler Analysis of Hotel Rewards Credit Cards (March 19, 2011)
Elite Status Benefits with Hotel Loyalty Credit Cards (March 21, 2011)
Hotel Credit Cards Comparison by Value of Points (September 2, 2010)
Hotel Points to Airline Miles Conversion Tables
Hotel Points-to-Miles Conversion Tables for 9 hotel programs and 7 U.S. airlines (March 30, 2010). These tables are a bit outdated and I plan to update the tables in October 2011.
Hotel Rates Survey for USA States, Cities, and Average Hotel Rates Worldwide
Hotels.com 2010 – Full Year 2010 – Global Hotel Price Index – This is a great resource for finding where hotel rates are high and low around the world. There are tables of USA average hotel rates by state and major cities.
Loyalty Traveler Travel
Brokeass Mountain Road Trip, July 2011
Monterey, California – Denver, Colorado
- Yosemite’s Tioga Pass Road across the Sierra Nevada Mountains
- Westin Monache Resort Mammoth for year round vacations
- Even Lonelier than the Loneliest Road in America
- Earth’s Oldest Trees in Great Basin National Park Nevada
- Less extreme than 127 Hours in Utah
- Brokeass Mountain Tour eastbound – Hotel Value at High Elevation
- Brokeass Mountain Tour visits Starwood in Denver
- Driving by the 14ers South Park to Aspen, Colorado
- Top of the Rockies on the High Road to Aspen – Independence Pass 12,095 feet.
- St. Regis Aspen – Too Late to Cancel
- Aspen, Colorado to Park City, Utah: Ghost lands of Buffalo Soldiers, Utes and Dinosaurs
- The California Trail across Nevada
- Homeward Bound – Carson Pass Highway 88 over the Sierra Nevada to Monterey