This article compiles all the articles from my October 2018 Icelandair trip from San Francisco to London on a $270 round trip economy light ticket. After one night at Hotel Indigo Leicester Square over the spotlights of the British Film Institute London Film Festival red carpet gala, I made my way to London Luton Airport by National Express bus for a Wizz Air $66 round trip flight to Cluj-Napoca, Romania.
Cluj-Napoca for a week was a laid back experience in a university dominated city hanging out at pubs and design festival events around the city. This is Transylvania, but not really the scenic mountains and forests with castles place to be in Romania.
Romania was far more familiar in terms of being like other western European cities than I expected. The place did not seem exotically foreign. English was far more prevalent as a common language for communication than I have found in France, Germany and Spain.
I think one of the common misconceptions of American tourists, or perhaps it is primarily my perception prior to travel, is venturing to places like Romania, Bulgaria, Poland, Slovakia and Hungary will involve communication problems for English language speakers. In my travel experiences I find people in these countries primarily use English as their main second language to communicate with all foreigners who do not speak the native language. I have had far fewer issues with communication in Central Europe than in places like France, Germany and Spain.
On my return from Romania to London Luton, I headed to Windsor to check out the town about ten miles west of Heathrow. I loved the Clarion Collection Harte & Garter across the street from Windsor Castle. My brief overnight in Windsor convinced me to make this place a focus of my next trip to London with my wife Kelley for an extended stay to really check out the place.
One night in Reykjavik, Iceland was part of the trip I wished I had not scheduled, but my second time in Reykjavik revealed that Iceland can be toured for less than I thought after my visit in 2017. When I get back to Iceland again, I will make an effort to plan a nature excursion.
Oct 15-26, 2018 London â€“ Cluj-Napoca, Romania â€“ Windsor, UK â€“ Reykjavik, Iceland
- Roaming Romania on $27 Wizz Air London-Cluj ticket
- Initial impressions on Cluj-Napoca, Romania
- Images of Cluj, Romania
- My booking.com hotel reservation with no ***king room upon arrival, yeah!
- Hampton Inn Cluj-Napoca, Romania 29,000 points for my 6-night stay
- Cluj-Napoca, Romania closer than imagined
- Gee Wizz, what a flight mess Cluj Romania to London Luton
- Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Windsor castle view room review
- Tourist Pub Walk around Windsor and Eton
London Heathrow LHR
- LHR Terminal 2 Plaza Premium Lounge
- London Heathrow Terminal 5 to Terminal 2-3 free train transfer and LHR Underground exhibit
- My 72 square feet with REK Inn Reykjavik Iceland $57 room
- Harpa Concert Hall imagery Reykjavik, Iceland
- Price of dining in Reykjavik at 21 restaurants on Laugavegur and Austurstraeti