This is a series of posts on the new Marriott Rewards program launching August 2018 for 6,864 hotels worldwide. This article covers Marriott Rewards new Category 6 hotels at 50,000 points per night with a list of hotels increasing in reward cost Aug 2018. These are hotels you should consider booking at their lower rates in July 2018 for stays into June 2019.
Marriott Rewards New Award Charts and Hotels to Book Before August Series
- Marriott Rewards new award charts Aug 2018 and early 2019
- Aug 2018 Marriott Rewards finding value in Category 1-3 hotel rewards
- New Marriott Rewards Category 2 hotels to book before August increase
- New Marriott/SPG Category 3 hotels to book before August changes
- New Marriott Rewards category 4 hotels to book before August increase
- New Marriott Rewards category 5 hotels to book before August increase
- New Marriott Rewards category 6 hotels to book before August increase
- New Marriott Rewards category 7 hotels to book before August increase and 2019 category
- List of 61 Marriott Category 8 hotels coming in 2019
313 New Marriott Rewards Category 6 Hotels at 50,000 points as of August 2018
313 of 6,864 hotels worldwide are placed in the new Marriott Rewards category 6 at 50,000 points per reward night and 200,000 points for 5th night free.
236 hotels of 313 hotels in category 6 (75.4%) will cost more in August 2018. In short, most aspirational vacation and city properties will cost more in the new Marriott Rewards program.
- 6 hotels increase 20,000 points from old Marriott Rewards cat 6 at 30,000 points to new category 6 at 50,000 points.
- 10 hotels increase 15,000 from old Marriott Rewards category 7 at 35,000 points.
- 48 Starwood Hotels increase 14,000 points from former standard SPG category 5 (36,000 points), but only 2,000 points more for peak season rates (16,000 Starpoints/48,000 MR points). The small peak season discrepancy goes away in 2019 when peak season rates are introduced in new Marriott Rewards.
- 104 hotels increase 10,000 points from old Marriott Rewards category 8 at 40,000 points to new category 6 at 50,000 points.
- 68 hotels increase 5,000 points from old Marriott Rewards category 9 at 45,000 points.
- 19 Ritz-Carlton Hotels see no reward night cost change former RCR Tier 3 and new MR category 6 at 50,000 points.
- 58 hotels drop 10,000 points in reward cost in new Category 6 with 56 Starwood Hotels at SPG category 6 dropping from 60,000 points to 50,000 points. 2 Ritz-Carlton Hotels at Tier 4 for 60,000 points drop down to new MR category 6 at 50,000 points. These 58 hotels offer a good savings opportunity to book after August 2018 and before peak season rates return in 2019. 5th night free reward stays at 200,000 points at some of these hotels for peak season dates in 2019 will be 100,000 points less than they would have been in SPG peak season. The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka’anapali for example, currently has posted peak season dates: 6/27/2019 – 7/6/2019 and 7/22/2019 – 8/10/2019. In August 2018 you can book this hotel as a Marriott Rewards category 6 5th night free stay for summer 2019 at 200,000 MR points when it would cost 100,000 Starpoints to book in July 2018, the equivalent of 300,000 MR points.
16 hotels rise from 120-140K to 200K for 5th Night Free August 2018.
6 hotels increase 20,000 points (66.7%) from Marriott category 6 and SPG category 4 to new Marriott Rewards category 6 at 50,000 points per night. Most of these hotels are places where a 5th Night Free reward would be common. The cost of 5th night free rises from 120,000 points to 200,000 points in August.
48 Starwood Hotels increase from SPG category 5 (12,000 points/16,000 points peak season to Marriott Rewards category 6 at 50,000 points per night. This change is a big hit for 5th night free standard rewards that were 36,000 points and 144,000 points for 5th Night Free and increase 39%. The hit is far slighter for 2018 bookings in what would have been SPG peak season dates with 5th night free only increasing from 192,000 to 200,000 points.
Peak season discrepancy will worsen in 2019 when the peak season rate goes to 60,000 points per night or 240,000 points for 5th Night Free. On the positive side, low season 40,000 points rates will only be 160,000 points. Still, 10% more points in 2019 for off-peak Marriott Rewards category 6 reward nights compared to the SPG category 5 standard reward rate today.
104 hotels increase 10,000 points from old MR category 8 at 40,000 points to new MR category 6 at 50,000 points. 34 hotels international and 70 hotels in USA.
68 hotels increase 5,000 points from old Marriott Rewards category 9 at 45,000 points to 50,000 points as new Marriott Rewards category 6 hotels. 23 international hotels and 45 hotels USA.