This is a series of posts on the new Marriott Rewards program launching August 2018 for 6,800+ hotels worldwide. This article covers Marriott Rewards new Category 5 hotels at 35,000 points per night with a list of hotels increasing in reward cost Aug 2018. These are hotels you should consider booking at their lower rates in July 2018 for stays into June 2019.
Marriott Rewards New Award Charts and Hotels to Book Before August Series
- Marriott Rewards new award charts Aug 2018 and early 2019
- Aug 2018 Marriott Rewards finding value in Category 1-3 hotel rewards
- New Marriott Rewards Category 2 hotels to book before August increase
- New Marriott/SPG Category 3 hotels to book before August changes
- New Marriott Rewards category 4 hotels to book before August increase
- New Marriott Rewards category 5 hotels to book before August increase
- New Marriott Rewards category 6 hotels to book before August increase
- New Marriott Rewards category 7 hotels to book before August increase and 2019 category
- List of 61 Marriott Category 8 hotels coming in 2019
1,126 New Marriott Rewards Category 5 Hotels as of August 2018
1,126 hotels Category 5 hotels out of 6,864 hotels worldwide are placed in the new Marriott Rewards category 5 at 35,000 points per reward night and 140,000 points for 5th night free.
3 hotels increase 14,000 points from SPG category 3 at 21,000 points to Marriott Rewards category 5 at 35,000 points in August 2018.
Westin Cancun, Sheraton Louisville Riverside and Sheraton Skyline London Heathrow make a big jump at 67% points increase. London LHR room rates on many nights are relatively low priced so not really a compelling deal even at old SPG 3 rates.
Westin Cancun is certainly one hotel to consider booking sooner rather than later, especially for a 5th Night Free stay increasing from 28,000 Starpoints (84,000 MR points) in July to 140,000 points in August (67% more points). But I learned Sheraton Louisville Riverside is actually in Jeffersonville, Indiana on the other side of the Ohio River from Louisville.
6 hotels rise 10,000 points in August 2018 from old Marriott Rewards category 5 hotels at 25,000 points shifting to higher cost new MR category 5 at 35,000 points.
The biggest shift in new Marriott Rewards category 5 are 300 hotels going up 5,000 points (16.67% increase).
New MR category 5 at 35,000 points is populated by SPG category 4 hotels at 10,000 Starpoints/30,000 MR points and old Marriott Rewards category 6 hotels at 30,000 points.
These hotels are likely some of the best value hotels in terms of prevailing room rates compared to reward stay cost in points. A couple can buy 40,000 Starpoints through July 20 for $910 and book a 5th night free stay for anytime into June 2019 at current SPG category 4 rates.
Remember, these 300 hotels are increasing 16.67% in points cost in August 2018.
I show all 300 hotels in 7 images below for better loading and clarity.
USA hotels increasing 5,000 points as new Marriott Rewards category 5 at 35,000 points per night.