Marriott Bonvoy implemented peak and off-peak reward rates Sep 14, 2019 for its 8 categories of hotel rewards. This post analyzes different reward rate options showing off peak, standard and peak reward rates for each Marriott Bonvoy hotel reward category in a single table by Loyalty Traveler.
Cash + Points reward rates show the cost for buying points and highlights Cash + Points reward rates where the price to buy Marriott Bonvoy points is less than $8.75 per 1,000 points. This is the rate Marriott Bonvoy sells points when there is a 30% discount on the regular $12.50 per 1,000 points purchase price.
Loyalty Traveler – Through Oct 18, buy up to 100,000 Marriott points for $8.75 per 1,000
Best Values for Marriott Bonvoy Cash + Points Rates
- Category 6 Peak Rates $190 buys 30,000 points for a points purchase rate = $6.33 per 1,000 points.
- Category 4 Peak Rates $105 buys 15,000 points for a points purchase rate = $7.00 per 1,000 points.
- Category 5 Peak Rates $140 buys 19,000 points for a points purchase rate = $7.37 per 1,000 points.
- Category 6 Standard Rates $190 buys 25,000 points for a points purchase rate = $7.60 per 1,000 points.
- Category 3 Peak Rates $80 buys 10,500 points for a points purchase rate = $7.62 per 1,000 points.
- Category 5 Standard Rates $140 buys 18,000 points for a points purchase rate = $7.78 per 1,000 points.
- Category 4 Standard Rates $105 buys 13,000 points for a points purchase rate = $8.08 per 1,000 points.
- Category 5 Off Peak Rates $140 buys 16,500 points for a points purchase rate = $8.48 per 1,000 points.
- Category 4 Off Peak Rates $105 buys 12,000 points for a points purchase rate = $8.75 per 1,000 points.
Given that you can buy Marriott Bonvoy points for $8.75 per 1,000 points during promotional sales, you should choose Cash + Points rates for these 9 reward categories rather than redeem all points reward rates if you find yourself in a situation where you need to purchase points from Marriott Bonvoy.
Basically every Marriott brand hotel worldwide potentially has nine different reward rate prices for any given date.
- Off Peak Standard
- Peak Standard
- Off Peak Cash + Points
- Standard Cash + Points
- Peak Cash + Points
- Off Peak PointSavers
- Standard PointSavers
- Peak PointSavers
Multiply these different Marriott Bonvoy reward types across 8 hotel reward categories and there are 72 different points rates for hotel reward nights without considering additional 5th night free discount rates.
Marriott Bonvoy Cash + Points
Marriott Bonvoy PointSavers tend to be a very small proportion of hotels worldwide at any given time. In September 2019 there are 29 hotels in the USA and 10 other international hotels worldwide.
39 of 7,615 hotels currently listed on Marriott’s Hotel Directory is only one-half of 1% of hotels worldwide or 1 out of 200 hotels worldwide. Chances are the hotel you plan to stay will not have a PointSavers rate. Even if you do chance upon a PointSavers rate, the savings will likely be 10% or less on the points rate.
One misleading statement from left over wording from the former PointSavers chart is a potential savings of 33% with PointSavers rates.
“Save up to 33% on top destinations around the world when you book with PointSavers.” – This is no longer an accurate statement for Marriott PointSavers. The maximum discount is 20% off standard reward rates available with 4 of 24 potential PointSavers rates.
- 15 of 24 PointSavers rates are 10% or less discount off standard reward rates. Category 8 PointSavers rate at 80,000 points is only offer a 5.88% off 85,000 points standard reward night rate.
- 5 of 24 PointSavers rates are 12 to 15% discount off standard reward rates.
- 4 of 24 PointSavers rates are 20% discount off standard reward rates and all in category 1-3 off peak rates and category 1 standard rates.