The new set of IHG Rewards Club Point Breaks hotels with reward nights at 5,000 points per night becomes bookable today for stays from April 24 – July 31, 2017.
Crowne Plaza Vilnius, Lithuania (I stayed 4 nights April 2016 on Point Breaks).
Hotels in Europe:
- Holiday Inn Birmingham M6, Jct.7
- Holiday Inn Bolton Centre
- Holiday Inn Express Bradford City Centre
- Holiday Inn Colchester
Hotels in Asia and Australia:
PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF CHINA
- Holiday Inn Express Chongqing University Town
- HUALUXE Nanchang High-Tech Zone
- Holiday Inn Chengdu Qinhuang
Hotels in Africa:
Hotels in Australia:
Hotels in South America:
Hotels in Latin America and Mexico:
Hotels in North America:
Newfoundland and Labrador
- Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Oakville @ Bronte
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Oshawa Downtown – Toronto Area
- Holiday Inn Express Delano Hwy 99
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lathrop
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lincoln-Roseville Area
- Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Peoria At Grand Prairie
- Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Chicago O’Hare – Rosemont
- Holiday Inn Express Clayton (SE Raleigh)
- Holiday Inn Express Jacksonville
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Laurinburg
- Holiday Inn Budd Lake – Rockaway Area
- Holiday Inn Somerset-Bridgewater
- Holiday Inn Philadelphia South-Swedesboro
- Holiday Inn Auburn-Finger Lakes Region
- Holiday Inn Middletown-Goshen
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Binghamton University-Vestal
- Candlewood Suites Knoxville Airport-Alcoa
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Harriman
- Crowne Plaza Memphis East
- Holiday Inn Abilene – North College Area
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Round Rock – Austin N
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Cuero
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Houston NW – Hwy 290 Cypress
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Christiansburg
- Candlewood Suites Colonial Heights-Ft Lee
- Candlewood Suites Richmond North-Glen Allen
Anticipation and Point Breaks Motivation
I waited in anticipation for this new IHG Point Breaks list as an opportunity for planning significant potential hotel cost savings on our 5 weeks in Europe in June and July.
Five nights at Crowne Plaza Vilnius or several nights in the ferry port area of Porto, Portugal are reservations I considered. A couple nights at Helsinki Airport with a transportation pass for the train into the city seemed like a reasonable plan.
The one good aspect of the IHG Point Breaks list coming out Friday is I spent the weekend hammering down the details of our summer itinerary. We have tickets to Stockholm and tickets home from London, but everything in between was open for arrangements.
In the end, my itinerary looks like it will only include 2 or 3 nights on Point Breaks, assuming I can book the hotel today when it becomes available.
I simply did not want to be in Vilnius at the Crowne Plaza and 20 minutes walk to Old Town when the Ramada Vilnius is a perfect location in Old Town Vilnius and a great deal on Wyndham Rewards GoFast nights.
The ferry port area of Porto is not the part of the city I want to spend my trip in when there is a great deal using Choice Privileges points or I can earn nearly 20,000 Club Carlson points on a $160 Radisson stay.
Helsinki Airport is not really where I want to be based for a visit to Helsinki. Berlin and Budapest are hotels in outlying districts of those cities.
Holiday Inn Dabrowa Gornicza in Poland looked like a possibility for hanging out in cheap Poland, however, when I checked my Rough Guide to Poland, this paragraph describing Katowice and the region dissuaded me,
By now you’ve probably guessed that Katowice and the surrounding mire may be critical to the Polish economy [coal mining], but have little interest to the overseas visitor; do yourself and your health a favour by avoiding the place altogether.
Rough Guide – Poland (May 1996 edition).
A 20-year old travel guide may not be the most accurate representation of the Katowice area in 2017.
Then again, I passed through the Katowice region in January 2017 on a bus ride from Wroclaw to Krakow. The air pollution was atrocious. Probably not nearly as bad in summer, but still.
While I don’t mind industrial tourism when traveling solo, our summer travel will focus on cities I have been to before and know my wife will love.
So in the end, IHG Point Breaks does not work out with my preferred Europe travel itineraries for big hotel rate discounts on this summer’s trips.