Starwood Hotels has a large presence in New York with 25 hotels in the New York City area and over a dozen hotels in Manhattan and several in Harlem and Brooklyn.
Starwood Hotels in New York range from St. Regis to Aloft Harlem.
Starwood Hotel Brands in New York area:
- St. Regis = 1
- Luxury Collection = 1 (The Chatwal)
- W Hotels = 5
- Westin = 3
- Sheraton = 7
- Le Meridien = 1
- Four Points = 4
- Element = 1
- Aloft = 2
SPG Hotel Reward Categories for New York
- Category 7 (30,000 or 35,000) = 2 with 1 hotel peak season.
- Category 6 (20,000 or 25,000) = 6 with 1 hotel peak season.
- Category 5 (12,000 or 16,000) = 12 with 3 hotels in peak season.
- Category 4 (10,000) = 4
- Category 3 (7,000) = 1
Starwood Hotels New York SPG Rewards Survey
New York Manhattan average room rate with Starwood Hotels Tuesday June 11, 2013 = $406. Tax is 15% additional to these rates.
New York Manhattan average room rate Friday June 14, 2013 = $306 or 25% less than weeknight rate.
Manhattan Room Rate Range = St. Regis $995 to Westin New York Grand Central at $229. This city is incredibly expensive on weeknights with some deals to be found for weekends.
- Average SPG Reward Rate = 19,500 points.
- Average spend for SPG free night = $5,240 if earning 3 points/$ as an elite member. SPG with 50% bonus points as Gold elite is a program where elite status matters as much for points earning as benefits.
- Redemption Value Range = $13.45 to $38.25 per 1,000 points. This is a huge range showing Starpoints can save quite a bit of cash. My personal goal is $30 to $40 per 1,000 points when redeeming Starpoints. This is far easier to achieve with Cash & Points rates which were scarce in this New York survey.
- Weeknight Average redemption value = $26.35 per 1,000 points for Tuesday, June 11, 2013.
- Weekend Average redemption value = $20.33 per 1,000 points for Friday, June 14, 2013.
SPG Cash & Points awards were only available at two Manhattan hotels on Friday, June 14, 2013. There were no SPG Cash & Points award nights available in Manhattan for Tuesday, June 11. Of these 25 hotels, only Sheraton JFK offered SPG Cash & Points for Tuesday, June 11.
There does not seem to have been a big change in Cash & Points award availability for New York City since the increased rates went into effect last month.
W New York Union Square, 10,000 points + $180 on a $332 published rate. This SPG C&P award gives a poor redemption value of $15.20 per 1,000 Starpoints, but the C&P award is a better value than a standard award with the hotel in peak season at 25,000 points.
Westin New York Times Square, 10,000 points + $180 on a $329 rate. This is another poor value for Starpoints. Better value is just paying the hotel standard award rate, especially since there will be 15% tax on the $180 cash portion and no tax on a standard award for 20,000 points.
Starwood Hotels has a big footprint in New York City. The high cost of hotels makes the redemption value a good spend for many of these properties, especially for weeknight stays.
SPG is selling points at a 25% discount through April 30. The price is $26.25 per 1,000 points when buying 13,000 to 20,000 points. This table shows there are many hotels in New York where the redemption value is more than $26.25 per 1,000 points.
A purchase limit of 20,000 points might buy an extra award night or two in New York at rates less than the published rates.
New York Hotel Reward Value Surveys: