The new 2019 ‘Free Nights. Faster.’ IHG Rewards Club promotion offers 40,000 or more points to members for completing targeted tasks. Register for this IHG offer by March 15, 2019.
My tasks require a minimum 5 nights to complete to earn 50,550 bonus points with an extra 2,000 bonus points if one of those nights is in February for 52,550 bonus points.
- 5,600 bonus points with two weekend 2-night stays including a Saturday night = 4 paid nights.
- 14,400 bonus points with stays at 3 different brands = book weekends in two different IHG brands and stay 1 night in a third IHG brand = 1 paid night (5 total paid nights).
- 5,600 bonus points with 2 IHG hotel stays (these nights covered in two weekend stays task).
- 6,600 bonus points for two bonus points package rates. (This task means either booking a weekend bonus rate for one of the 2-night stays or booking a sixth paid night). Bonus points package means paying at least Best Flexible Rate.
- 1,500 bonus points with IHG Rewards Club MasterCard payment. (This should be an easy task to incorporate in one of the other stays, but I failed this task and missed out on 30,000+ points in a 2017 IHG promotion offer when I forgot to take my IHG credit card to Europe.)
- 16,850 bonus points upon completion of all 5 tasks for a total 50,550 bonus points.
- 2,000 bonus points for a February stay.
For me, the two-night weekend stays are the deal breaker. Most places in California where I would want to stay a weekend are places where rates are far higher than weekdays.
I have a feeling that I will pick and choose a limited number of tasks from my offer during this period rather than trying to meet the two weekends requirement.
- 2 nights as 2 stays in different brands paid with IHG credit card = 7,100 bonus points.
- 2 nights as 2 stays in different brands booked as bonus points packages = 13,700 bonus points.
- 3 nights as 3 stays in 3 different brands = 21,500 bonus points (most likely best value for me).
- 3 nights as 3 stays in 3 different brands with 2 nights booked as bonus package rates and one stay paid with IHG credit card = 28,100 bonus points. (This is the best value I can probably get for about $250 to $300 in spend without committing to four weekend nights).
Kelley has 3 weekends in her tasks. Not going there.
IHG Free Nights. Faster. January 15 – April 15
I like IHG’s promotions and I fulfill most of them, but this is not a promotion that currently fits into my travel plans. 28,000 bonus points is an estimated $140 value to me and I would definitely spend $250 to $300 to earn these bonus points if I am in need of hotel rooms.
In November, I used the Fall 2018 IHG promotion to stay 3 nights in 3 different brands and earned 40,000 bonus points on a road trip to Disneyland. I then redeemed those 40,000 points for two nights at the new Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam City Hall, a location I absolutely loved staying last week. The two nights in Amsterdam would have cost more than the $255 I paid for 3 nights in California in November.
As I expected, the introductory reward rate for Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam City Hall recently changed to 35,000 points per night.. That reward rate increase takes the hotel from the best deal I found in Amsterdam to not a deal most of the time.