Choice Privileges brings back its recurrent hotel promotion for 8,000 points for 2 stays from April 2 to May 25, 2018.
Promotion registration required.
Two key points to know:
1) offer is restricted to U.S. and Canada residents.
2) two stays earn 8,000 total points, not bonus points. You are guaranteed 5,000 bonus points, if you spend more than $300 in hotel rate on your two stays.
- Spend $120 on two separate stays and normally earn 1,200 points at 10 points/$1. Member receives 6,800 bonus points for 8,000 total points.
- Spend $250 on two separate stays. Earn 2,500 points. Member receives 5,500 bonus points for 8,000 total points.
- Spend $550 on two separate stays. Member earns 5,500 points. Member receives 5,000 bonus points for 10,500 total points.
This promotion favors the low spender.
Type of travel this offer benefits most
- One night stays with 2 or more stays through promotion period. Many more hotels have reward night opportunities are available if you earn 16,000 points with 4 stays.
- Rural and small town travel in USA, where there are limited hotel brands. Choice and Wyndham are most prevalent hotel chains in rural USA.
- This offer is available for hotels worldwide, but Choice Privileges points are not earned for stays at 180 Nordic Choice Hotels in Scandinavia and Baltic countries.
- This promotion is a good deal if you normally stay in Choice Hotels.
- This promotion is a good deal if you are staying some place and a Choice Hotel looks as good as other options.
- This promotion is probably not worth going out of your way to stay at Choice Hotels, unless you have a trip to Denmark, Norway or Sweden. Choice Privileges can be redeemed for Nordic Choice Hotel reward nights, even though you can’t earn Choice Privileges points for paid stays.
Value of Choice Privileges points
- Main complaint about Choice Privileges points is limited booking window of 30 days prior to stay to book reward nights in North America and 60 days for other global regions. On the plus side is this limitation means there is usually reward availability when the booking window opens. Choice Privileges elite members can book hotel rewards at 50, 75 and 100 days for Gold, Platinum and Diamond members.
- Choice Privileges offer high redemption value at many hotels in Europe.
Tip: Some Choice Hotels offer multiple room categories for standard reward points. Some hotels even offer suites for standard reward points. I have my eye on two Choice Hotels in Europe where I can book a suite for 16,000 points. While I could name the hotels, as a practice on Loyalty Traveler, I don’t pinpoint specific hotels with high category rooms available as reward nights in Best Western, Choice Privileges and Wyndham Rewards. I think a rush of bookings will kill these deals at the hotels I know regularly offer high category rooms. I have stayed in several hotel suites using Choice Privileges points. They are around if you look.
Buy Choice Privileges points for $7.70 per 1,000 points
You can currently buy Choice Privileges points for $7.70 per 1,000 points through April 19. This is $61.60 to buy 8,000 points when you buy 40,000 points for $300.
Loyalty Traveler – Choice Privileges buy discount points through April 19 (March 13, 2018).
Value of Choice Privileges Points
Choice Privileges provide high value in my travels. I stayed 16 nights in Choice Hotels in 2017. I value 8,000 points at $61.60 given the current price to buy points.
Choice Privileges points are typically worth more than 1 cent per point at hotels in Scandinavia, meaning 8,000 points will save $80 or more on a Scandinavian hotel night. I had a 5-night stay in 2014 at Clarion Collection Havnekonteret for 16,000 points per night when lowest published room rates were over $500 per night for redemption value more than 3 cents per Choice Privileges point.
I stayed 2 paid nights in Colorado Springs October 2017 to earn 8,000 points on 2 highly convenient stays at a Clarion and Quality Inn existing in the same physical property. That was only the second or third time I have earned this promotion bonus, even though it has been offered repeatedly for several years and I stayed 20 or more nights at Choice Hotels each year 2014-2016.
Nearly all my valued Choice Privileges points are redeemed for hotels in Europe. Except for reward nights using points in Europe, I rarely find a Choice Hotel is the best value I find in places I travel.
In 2017, I stayed 5 nights in Stockholm at 10,000 points per night and one night in Copenhagen for 20,000 points. Those 70,000 points purchased over $1,000 in room rates. I stayed 8 nights in Prague for 8,000 points or 10,000 points per night for over $1,000 in room rate savings.
Choice Privileges have potential high value in my travels.