Admittedly, Aegean Airlines Miles+Bonus Blue Card is a basic member card for the Greece-based airline, but this is my first time receiving a hard card for Aegean Miles+Bonus since joining Aegean Miles+Bonus 28 months ago. I flew Aegean Airlines and Olympic Air for the first time two weeks ago with flights from Sofia, Bulgaria to Athens, Greece to Warsaw, Poland.
My objective is to be Aegean Miles + Bonus Gold elite by year end 2017.
Of course, I could simply status match my American Airlines Platinum elite for an elite level match in any of a number of frequent flyer programs, but that is only a temporary solution for a frequent flyer.
My Aegean Miles+Bonus experiences, while seeing places and airports in Europe, is a learning opportunity on becoming an elite member in a foreign-based frequent flyer program.
One of my main objectives for travel to Europe in 2017 is advancing my way through Aegean Airlines Miles+Bonus frequent flyer program elite levels with Aegean and Star Alliance member flights.
Aegean Miles+Bonus Elite Levels
Basic Blue card is free to anyone who joins Aegean Miles+Bonus program and takes a Star Alliance eligible flight credited to the program.
You’ll receive your plastic card as soon as you perform a single flight with Aegean, Olympic Air or any Star Alliance member airline.
My first flight credited to Aegean Miles+Bonus was Scandinavian Airways December 2016.
Aegean Miles+Bonus Silver Elite
- Earn 12,000 Tier Miles within 12 months including at least 2 Aegean/Olympic Air flight segments.
- Earn 24,000 Tier Miles within 12 months with any Star Alliance eligible flights.
Important to study member airline booking codes for Aegean Miles+Bonus earning rates to find the best earning flights.
SAS Scandinavian Airlines earn 100% Tier Miles in Aegean Miles+Bonus for all economy class booking codes.
United Airlines only earns 50% Tier Miles for deep discount economy booking codes: W, S, T, L, K, G, N.
Economy K class is common fare code for USA-Europe cheap tickets.
Aegean Miles+Bonus Silver Elite Renewal Qualification
- Earn 8,000 Tier Miles within 12 months of previous year’s Silver elite qualification, including at least 2 Aegean/Olympic
Air flight segments.
- Earn 16,000 Tier Miles within 12 months of previous year’s Silver elite qualification with any Star Alliance eligible
Silver elite renewal qualification is achieved with only two-thirds the Tier Miles for initial Silver elite qualification.
Aegean Miles+Bonus Gold Elite
- Earn 24,000 Tier Miles within 12 months including at least 4 Aegean/Olympic
Air flight segments.
- Earn 48,000 Tier Miles within 12 months with any Star Alliance eligible
Aegean Miles+Bonus Gold Elite Renewal Qualification
- Earn 12,000 Tier Miles within 12 months of previous year’s Gold elite qualification, including at least 4 Aegean/Olympic Air flight segments.
- Earn 24,000 Tier Miles within 12 months of previous year’s Gold elite qualification with any Star Alliance eligible flights.
The qualification level for Gold elite renewal is one-half (50%) the Tier Miles required for initial Gold elite qualification.
Aegean Miles+Bonus 9,898 Tier Miles earned Dec 2016-March 2017
After flights in December, February and March with Aegean (2 segments), SAS Airlines (2 segments) and United Airlines (1 segment), I have 9,898 Aegean Miles+Bonus Tier Miles and I need another 2,102 Tier Miles for Aegean Miles+Bonus Silver elite.
The reason I have 10,898 Aegean Miles+Bonus award miles and 9,898 Tier Miles is a 1,000 award miles enrollment bonus from 2014.
My next Star Alliance flight will earn Aegean Miles+Bonus Silver elite.
Then, my 12-month qualification clock starts for Aegean Gold elite.
12 months to fly four Aegean or Olympic Air flight segments with a total 24,000 Tier Miles in Star Alliance airlines. That will provide me a comparable elite level to United Mileage Plus Premier Gold.
Aegean Miles+Bonus Gold elite can be achieved with two round trip economy flights from California to Scandinavia on SAS Airlines, along with another trip to Greece for four Aegean flight segments. With $500 fares common lately for SAS flights San Francisco to Scandinavia, this is cheap Star Alliance Gold elite for Aegean Miles+Bonus compared to the $6,000 minimum annual base fare spend required with United Airlines tickets.
My Aegean Miles+Bonus flight credits
I have spent $900 for three Star Alliance airline tickets for flights flown. I will earn another 8,752 Tier Miles when I fly the return portions of my SAS and United tickets.
SAS Scandinavian Airlines = 100% award/tier mile per flight mile.
- 600 tier miles/award miles Stockholm ARN – Copenhagen CPH (340 flight miles).
- 5,473 tier miles/award miles Copenhagen CPH – San Francisco SFO (5,487 flight miles).
United Airlines = Economy K class 50% award/tier miles per flight mile.
- 2,679 tier miles/award miles San Francisco SFO – London LHR (5,367 flight miles)
Olympic Airlines Economy T class 75% award/tier mile per flight mile with 400 miles minimum.
- 400 tier miles/award miles fixed rate minimum Sofia, Bulgaria SOF – Athens, Greece ATH (330 flight miles).
Aegean Airlines Economy T class 75% award/tier mile per flight mile
- 746 tier miles/award miles Athens ATH – Warsaw, Poland WAW (993 flight miles)
Loyalty Traveler – Trip Report Aegean Airlines Gold elite status progress (March 1, 2017).
Loyalty Traveler – Building my Aegean elite status 9 day mystery trip (Jan 7, 2017).
Loyalty Traveler – Perhaps go for both Turkish and Aegean Gold elite in 2017 (Oct 25, 2016).
Loyalty Traveler – SAS vs. Aegean frequent flyer programs for USA flyers (Aug 30, 2016).
Loyalty Traveler – SAS + Aegean $625 LAX to Denmark + Greece, Star Gold elite with three round trips (Aug 26, 2016).