The fare war today has expanded into Business Class fares with incredibly low airfare starting around $1,400 to $1,600 round trip to multiple airports around Europe from several airports around the USA. Departure dates are wide open from August to March 2017. I only see Delta and American discount fares, but surely United will jump in this evening to combat the attack from AA and DL. This is an exciting and developing situation.
Sample Business Class fares found at 7:00pm Pacific time May 31.
- $1,464 Delta BWI – Madrid MAD Aug 23-31 (DL attacks AA at Iberia hub)
- $1,470 Delta Houston – Copenhagen CPH Aug 23-31 (DL attacks UA at SAS hub).
- $1,479 American IAD – Rome FCO Aug 23-31 (AA attacks DL at Alitalia hub)
- $1,594 Delta SFO – Lisbon LIS $1,594 Aug 23-31 (DL attacks UA hub at TAP Portugal hub).
- $1,641 Delta SFO – Frankfurt FRA Aug 23-31 (DL attacks UA hub at LH hub).
- American/British Airways has several airports around Italy and Malta on sale. This is the only attack to Delta’s low $1,600 business class fares to many countries in Europe.
Update 9pm Pacific time – Add JFK and lots of low fares to Germany.
- JFK-FRA $1,513 DL Munich, Berlin, Hamburg also on sale.
- Delta has numerous USA airports with many Germany airports on sale: MIA, PDX, SEA, LAX, SFO.
$1,579 American Airlines
San Francisco to Rome FCO August 23-31 (AA attacks Alitalia hub)
Booking codes: I and A
I also see British Airways Business Class for $1,636. AARP $400 discount still available. That drops ticket price down to $1,236 round trip.
$1,570 San Francisco to Zurich ZRH Aug 23-31 (DL attacks Swiss hub)
I’ll update this post as I research the fares. This looks to be a situation that will likely spread over the next 12 hours.
Checked airports for low business class fares 7:45pm Pacific time
Houston IAH = YES AA, DL
Washington DCA/IAD = YES American
Baltimore BWI = Yes Delta
San Francisco SFO = YES AA and DL
Denver DEN = YES DL
New York JFK = YES DL to Germany airport $1600s (9:00pm Pacific)
Los Angeles LAX = YES DL to Germany airport $1600s (9:30pm Pacific)
Minneapolis MSP = no deals
Chicago ORD = no deals
Charlotte CLT = NO
Philadelphia PHL = No
Dallas DFW = NO
Salt Lake City SLC = NO
Phoenix PHX = NO
Seattle = NO
Sample Fare Calendar for San Francisco SFO – Rome FCO
Nearly every date from August 22 to December 5 is a low AA Business Class fare from $1,581 to $1,657. Sporadic low fares in January and February and then they return for most of March 2017.
This fare calendar is likely similar to other routes for low Business Class fares.
Since posting this calendar, other routes I checked have fewer low fare dates. Denver to Europe is primarily mid- week dates. Several routes stop low business class fares in early December.
Other Loyalty Traveler articles related to today’s fare sale
Loyalty Traveler – Hotel Promotions Guide May 2016.