Checking signs for fare wars to Europe from U.S. airports reveals Washington D.C. area is the hottest market in the USA today for low fares from American, Delta and United. From November to March 2017 there are dozens of cities in Europe priced in the $600s. Dublin is still available for as low as $317 round trip with Delta and KLM from DCA and IAD. Baltimore BWI has many low fares too.
In other hub airports across the USA, there are sign of limited attacks in places like Dallas DFW, an American Airlines hub, where United fares to Dublin are $638 round trip. American and Delta have lower fares to several cities in Europe like Athens and Barcelona from Houston IAH, a United Airlines hub. This kind of scene is playing out in most hubs.
Washington DC area is one place today where all three major airlines are competing head to head for Europe traffic on same routes.
Sample WAS (BWI, DCA, IAD) Fares
Google Flights WAS Nov 15-22 fare map
- $317 Delta DCA – Dublin, Ireland DUB
- $342 Air France IAD – Dublin, Ireland DUB
- $345 KLM IAD – Dublin, Ireland DUB
- $608 American DCA – Barcelona, Spain BCN
- $612 Air Canada/United IAD – Barcelona, Spain BCN
- $628 Lufthansa IAD – Barcelona, Spain BCN
- $632 Air France IAD – Barcelona, Spain BCN
- $615 KLM IAD – Amsterdam, Netherland AMS
- $628 Air Canada/United DCA – Amsterdam, Netherland AMS
- $693 British Airways IAD – Amsterdam, Netherland AMS
- $648 United IAD – Paris, France CDG
- $648 Air France IAD – Paris, France CDG
- $662 American DCA – Paris, France CDG
- $655 United IAD – Venice, Italy VCE
- $655 Lufthansa IAD – Venice, Italy VCE
- $664 American/Iberia DCA – Venice, Italy VCE
- $678 Air France IAD – Venice, Italy VCE
- $694 American DCA – Frankfurt, Germany FRA
- $694 American IAD – Frankfurt, Germany FRA
- $697 Delta DCA and BWI – Frankfurt, Germany FRA
These are similar to how fares looked from dozens of airports across the USA last weekend. That fare war started around the DC area last Friday , peaked late Saturday night and Sunday, then fizzled out on Monday. This might be a good weekend to watch airfare from your area to see if these kinds of low fares to Europe come to an airport near you.