This post is an overview of Norwegian Airlines European airports and routes flown between more than 30 countries in and around Europe. Norwegian Airlines is one of the primary low cost carriers for intra-Europe travel with a route network covering 31 countries across Europe, plus Turkey, Marrakech, Morocco and Tel Aviv, Israel, in addition to Dubai, Bangkok, USA and Canada routes and several Caribbean destinations. Norwegian flies between nearly 100 airports across Europe.
The rationale for why I have made a list of airports in Europe where Norwegian flies from and how many nonstop flights connect to each airport is due to Norwegian offering nonstop flights between countries far removed from Scandinavia. For example, Madrid to Dubrovnik, Croatia or London Gatwick to Rome are two nonstop flight routes on Norwegian Airlines.
I am planning a Norwegian Airlines
mileage flight segment run in September for intra-Europe travel after I arrive in Stavanger, Norway SVG on a United Airlines ticket. The challenge for me has been figuring out Norwegian’s routes around Europe and how I can inexpensively knock out flight segments and earn free seat assignments and free checked bag for 12 months after 12 and 18 flight segments.
Loyalty Traveler – Why I am planning a Norwegian Reward mileage run (April 24, 2016).
Dubrovnik, Croatia is one airport I have seriously looked at ticketing. Croatia has been in my sights for years, but the timing never played out until now. Earning Norwegian flight segments while I travel around Europe is incentive to fly around Europe on my next couple of trips.
Norwegian flies nonstop to Dubrovnik, Croatia from ten different airports in Europe. Six airports are in Denmark, Norway and Sweden: Bergen BGO, Oslo OSL, Stavanger SVG and Trondheim TRD in Norway; Stockholm, Sweden ARN and Copenhagen CPH, Denmark. In addition to these northern airports, four airports outside of Scandinavia fly nonstop flights to Dubrovnik from Barcelona, Spain BCN, Madrid, Spain MAD, Helsinki, Finland HEL, and London Gatwick LGW .
For many dates I checked there were lower fares or better dates (many of these routes are not daily) routing via one of these other countries for lower priced flights between Denmark and Norway to Dubrovnik, Croatia.
Oslo is the main Norwegian Airlines hub with 97 nonstop flights operating from the airport. Stockholm (59 airports) and Copenhagen (48 airports) are two other primary Scandinavian airport hubs for Norwegian flights. Other major airports with more than ten nonstop destinations are London Gatwick (40), Helsinki (27), Bergen (26), Alicante (22), Malaga (21), Barcelona (19), Madrid (13) and Berlin (10). As far as I can tell, Birmingham BHX in the UK and Cologne-Bonn CGN Germany only fly Norwegian routes to four or five destinations in Spain and the Canary Islands. These are the only two airports in the Norwegian Europe network that do not offer any Norwegian Airlines routes to a Scandinavian Airport.
Norwegian Airlines Europe Airports List
- Oslo, Norway OSL = 95 airports
- Stockholm, Sweden ARN = 60 airports
- Copenhagen, Denmark CPH = 58 airports
- London Gatwick, UK LGW = 40 airports
- Helsinki, Finland HEL = 27 airports
- Bergen, Norway BGO = 26 airports
- Alicante, Spain ALC = 22 airports
- Malaga, Spain AGP = 21 airports (including Cologne-Bonn CGN, Oslo-Rygge RYG and Oslo Sandefjord-Torp TRF)
- Barcelona, Spain BCN = 19 airports
- Trondheim, Norway TRD = 18 airports
- Stavanger, Norway SVG = 16 airports
- Tenerife-South, Canary Islands, Spain TFS = 14 airports (Denmark: Copenhagen CPH; Finland: Helsinki HEL, Oulu OUL; Germany: Berlin SXF, Cologne Bonn CGN, Hamburg HAM; Munich, MUC, Norway: Oslo OSL; Spain: Malaga AGP; Sweden: Stockholm ARN, Gothenburg GOT; UK: Birmingham BHX, Edinburgh EDI, London Gatwick LGW)
- Madrid, Spain MAD = 13 airports (ARN, CPH, HEL and OSL and BHX Birmingham and London LGW, UK; DBV Dubrovnik,Croatia; LPA Gran Canaria, and TFN Tenirife Norte on the Canary Islands of Spain; MLA Malta; CTA Sicily-Catania, Italy; and WAW Warsaw, Poland.)
- Grand Canaria, Spain LPA = 13 airports
- Gothenburg, Sweden GOT = 10 airports (Sweden: ARN; Spain: AGP, ALC, BCN, PMI; UK: London Gatwick LGW; Greece: CHQ Crete-Chana; France: NCE Nice; PRN Pristina, Kosovo; FCO Rome, Italy).
- Berlin-Schönefeld, Germany SXF = 10 airports (UK: London Gatwick LGW; Spain: BCN Canary Islands: LPA, TFS; Denmark: CPH; Sweden: ARN; Norway OSL, BGO, SVG, TRD)
- Dubrovnik,Croatia DBV = 10 airports (UK: London Gatwick LGW; Spain: BCN, MAD; Finland: HEL; Denmark: CPH; Sweden: ARN; Norway: Oslo OSL, Bergen BGO May-Oct, Stavanger SVG June-Aug, Trondheim TRD May-Oct.
- Mallorca-Palma, Spain PMI = 9 airports (Denmark: AAL, CPH; Finland: HEL; Norway: BGO, OSL, SVG; Sweden: ARN, GOT; UK: LGW)
- Nice, France NCE = 7 airports (Norway: BGO (Apr-Oct, OSL, SVG (June-Aug), TRD (May-Oct); Sweden ARN, GOT (Apr-Oct); Finland: HEL (Apr-Oct)
- Corfu, Greece CFU = 7 airports Seasonal Service June-August, except from LGW April-September
- Crete-Chania, Greece CFQ = 7 airports Seasonal Service April-October (lowest fares from LGW)
- Rome, Italy FCO = 7 airports (Norway: BGO, OSL; Denmark CPH; Sweden: ARN, GOT, Finland: HEL; UK: LGW)
- Edinburgh, UK EDI = 6 airports (Sweden: ARN, Denmark: CPH, Norway: OSL, Spain: AGP Malaga, BCN Barcelona (seasonal June-Oct), TFS Tenerife-South)
- Hamburg, Germany HAM = 6 airports (Norway: OSL and 5 airports in Spain: BCN, MAD, Alicante ALC, Gran Canaria LPA, Malaga AGP)
- Krakow, Poland KRK = 6 airports (Sweden: ARN, Norway: BGO, OSL, SVG, TRD; Denmark: CPH)
- Manchester, UK MAN = 6 airports (Norway: OSL, SVG; Sweden: ARN; Spain: ALC Alicante, BCN, Barcelona, Malaga AGP)
- Munich, Germany MUC = 6 airports (Norway: OSL; Spain: ALC Alicante, LPA Gran Canaria, AGP Malaga, TFS Tenerife-South).
- Tromso, Norway TOS = 6 airports (UK: London LGW Spain: Alicante ALC, Gran Canaria LPA; Norway: Alta ALF, Oslo OSL, Trondheim TRD)
- Warsaw, Poland WAW = 6 airports (Norway: Oslo OSL, Stavanger SVG; Spain: Barcelona BCN, Madrid MAD, Malaga ATP; UK: London LGW
- Aalborg, Denmark AAL = 5 airports (CPH, LGW and Spain)
- Budapest, Hungary BUD = 5 airports (ARN, CPH, HEL, LGW, OSL)
- Cyprus-Larnaca LCA = 5 airports (ARN, CPH, HEL, LGW, OSL) Seasonal service only from CPH and HEL.
- Paris-Orly, France ORY = 5 airports (ARN, BGO, CPH, HEL, OSL)
- Prague, Czech Republic PRG = 5 airports (ARN, BGO, CPH, HEL, OSL)
- Riga, Latvia RIX = 5 airports (ARN, BGO (June-Aug), CPH, OSL, TRD)
- Algarve-Faro, Portugal FAO = 4 airports (ARN, CPH, LGW, OSL)
- Cologne-Bonn, Germany CGN = 4 airports (All Spain routes to Alicante ALC, Gran Canaria LPA, Malaga AGP, Tenirife South TFS.
- Harstad/Narvik, Norway EVE = 4 airports (Bergen BGO, Oslo OSL, Trondheim TRD, Alicante ALC)
- Athens, Greece ATH = 4 airports (ARN, CPH, HEL, OSL)
- Bourgas, Bulgaria BOJ = 4 airports (ARN, CPH, HEL, OSL)
- Pula, Croatia PUY = 4 airports London LGW (Apr-Oct); Oslo OSL (May-Sep); Stockholm ARN and Helsinki HEL (June-Aug).
- Rhodes, Greece RHO = 4 airports (ARN, CPH, HEL, OSL – summer season Jun-Aug only)
- Murcia-Alicante, Spain MJV = 4 airports (Bergen, BGO; Oslo OSL; Stavanger SVG; Trondheim TRD Seasonal Service June-August, except OSL May-Oct).
- Santorini, Greece JTR = 4 airports (LGW (Apr-Oct) ARN, CPH, OSL all seasonal service Jun-Aug)
- Venice, Italy VCE = 4 airports (ARN, CPH, HEL, OSL)
- Vilnius, Lithuania VNO = 2 airports (Oslo OSL and Stockholm ARN)
- Visby-Gotland, Sweden VBY = 2 airports (Oslo OSL and Stockholm
- Alesund, Norway AES = 3 airports (Oslo OSL, London LGW, Alicante, Spain ALC )
- Amsterdam, Netherlands AMS = 3 airports (ARN, CPH, Oslo OSL)
- Antalya, Turkey AYT = 3 airports (Oslo OSL, BGO Bergen and TRD Trondheim)
- Billund, Denmark BLL = 3 airports (Oslo OSL, Alicante ALC and Barcelona BCN Spain)
- Crete-Heraklion, Greece HER = 3 airports (ARN, CPH, Oslo OSL) Seasonal Service June-August
- Dublin, Ireland DUB = 3 airports (CPH, HEL, Oslo OSL) Note Stockholm ARN does not offer this route.
- Kos, Greece KGS = 3 airports (ARN, CPH, Oslo OSL) Seasonal Service June-August
- Malta MLA = 3 airports (CPH, Oslo OSL and Madrid MAD)
- Marrakech, Morocco RAK = 3 airports (CPH year round; seasonal winter
service Oslo OSL (October-March); ARN (November-March).
- Pisa-Tuscany, Italy PSA = 3 airports (ARN, CPH, Oslo OSL)
- Sarajevo, Bosnia and Hercegovina SJJ = 3 airports (ARN year round, CPH Jun-Aug, OSL Apr-Oct)
- Sardinia-Olbia, Italy OLB = 3 airports (Seasonal Service ARN Apr-Oct, CPH Jun-Aug, OSL Jun-Aug)
- Alta, Norway ALF = 2 airports (Oslo OSL and TOS Tromso)
- Belgrade, Serbia BEG = 2 airports (ARN, Oslo OSL)
- Kefalonia, Greece EFL = 2 airports (London LGW, Oslo OSL)
- Lanzarote, Spain ACE = 2 airports (London LGW year round, Oslo OSL seasonal begins October 2016)
- Lisbon, Portugal LIS = 2 airports (Oslo OSL seasonal May-Sep, Copenhagen CPH seasonal May-Oct)
- Molde, Norway MOL = 2 airports (Oslo OSL year round; ALC Alicante, Spain seasonal service June-August)
- Pristina, Kosovo PRN = 2 airports Oslo OSL year round, Gothenburg GOT seasonal service June-Aug.
- Rekjavik, Iceland KEF = 2 airports (Norway: Bergen BGO and Oslo OSL)
- Tel Aviv, Israel TLV = 2 airports (ARN, CPH)_
- Varna, Bulgaria VAR = 2 airports (CPH, OSL) Seasonal Service Jun-August)
- Andenes, Norway ALX = 1 airport (Oslo OSL) Seasonal Service June-August
- Bardufoss, Norway BDU = 1 airport (Oslo OSL)
- Bilbao, Spain BIO = 1 airport (Oslo OSL) Seasonal Service June-August
- Bodo, Norway BOO = 1 airport (Oslo OSL)
- Bordeaux, France BOD = 1 airport (Oslo OSL) Seasonal Service June-August
- Dalaman, Turkey DLM = 1 airport (Oslo OSL) Seasonal Service June-August
- Gdansk, Poland GDN = 1 airport (Oslo OSL)
- Geneva, Switzerland GVA = 1 airport (Oslo OSL)
- Haugesund, Norway HAU = 1 airport (Oslo OSL)
- Kirkenes, Norway KKN = 1 airport (Oslo OSL)
- Korsica-Ajaccio AJA Corsica, France = 1 airport (Oslo OSL) Seasonal Service June-August
- Kristiansand, Norway KRS = 1 airport Oslo (OSL)
- Lakselv, Norway LKL = 1 airport (Oslo OSL) Seasonal Service June-August
- Lefkas Preveza, Greece PVK = 1 airport (Oslo OSL) Seasonal Service June-August
- Longyearbyen-Svalbard, Norway = 1 airport (Oslo OSL) [Radisson Blu Polar Hotel Spitsbergen is world’s northernmost commercial hotel].
- Menorca, Spain MNH = 1 airport (Oslo OSL) seasonal summer service June-August
- Milan, Italy MXP = 1 airport (Oslo OSL)
- Montenegro-Tivat, Montengro TIV = 1 airport (Oslo OSL) seasonal summer service June-August
- Palanga/Klaipeda, Lithuania PLQ = 1 airport (Oslo OSL)
- Rijeka, Croatia RJK = 1 airport (Seasonal Service OSL Jun-Aug)
- Sicily-Catania, Italy CTA = 5 airports (London LGW, Madrid MAD, ARN, CPH, OSL (Oslo seasonal service Jun-Aug)
- Split, Croatia SPU = 8 airports (Seasonal Service April-Oct: London LGW, ARN, OSL, HEL, May-Oct CPH; Jun-Aug BGO, SVG, TRD)
- Szczecin, Poland SZZ = 1 airport (Oslo OSL)
- Tallinn, Estonia TLL = 1 airport (Oslo OSL)
- Verona, Italy VRN = 1 airport (Seasonal Service OSL Jun-Aug)
- Vienna, Austria VIE = 1 airport (Oslo OSL)
Countries Norwegian flies in and around Europe
- Bosnia and Hercegovina
- Czech Republic
- United Kingdom
Norwegian also has routes to Dubai DXB from 3 airports (ARN, CPH, HEL) and Bangkok, Thailand from 3 airports (ARN, CPH, OSL) and routes to the Caribbean, in addition to USA/Canada – Europe routes.
Primary Norwegian Airlines hub airports for Direct (nonstop) Flights
Oslo is the main Norwegian Airlines hub with the most direct flights to 97 different airports. Stockholm ARN has 59 destinations and Copenhagen CPH has 58 destinations. London Gatwick LGW is another major hub with 40 destinations. There are frequently lower fares to Mediterranean region airports from UK and Spain than flying Norwegian to these places from Scandinavian airports.
For example, I constructed a round trip fare for direct flights between Stockholm and Gran Canaria, Spain LPA with 279 EUR round trip fare as the best deal for nonstop flights in June 2016 on Norwegian. Since I am a tourist traveler, I don’t need to minimize time in transit. The same trip can be done with separate Norwegian Airlines tickets flying six segments from Stockholm-Oslo-Barcelona-Gran Canaria-Barcelona-Oslo-Stockholm for an even lower total ticket fare 267 EUR all-in. London and Copenhagen can be added for another $30 or so each.
It is possible to route an itinerary through Europe flying Norwegian Air without returning to the same hub airport. A flight departing Oslo can be routed back to Scandinavia via Copenhagen, Helsinki, London or Stockholm. Different airports in Scandinavia, Finland, UK, Spain and Germany offer many nonstop routes allowing the flyer to avoid the need to fly through the same airport twice. As a tourist, Norwegian Airlines offers a good network of routes to cross much of Europe.
Save this Norwegian Low Fare Calendar link
One of the primary tools to use when planning travel within Europe is the Norwegian Airlines fare calendar.
The red box I added to the Norwegian Fare Calendar shows these fares are for Direct Flights (Nonstop) from Copenhagen CPH and the lowest fare by month to 58 airports with direct flights from Copenhagen. This page can be adjusted to any Norwegian Airlines airport and also show connecting flight options. But remember, I have not yet seen a connecting flight ticket with a lower overall price than buying two one-way tickets. The difference is simply the option for overall lower seat assignment and checked bag fees.
Save this Norwegian Low Fare Calendar link
For most tickets I researched, the fare for two one-way direct flights is lower than the fare for a single one-stop ticket. For example, Bergen to Oslo to Barcelona is going to be a few euros more in ticket price than booking two tickets Bergen to Oslo and Oslo to Barcelona for the same flights.
Norwegian Airlines Stavanger, Norway SVG to Oslo OSL 32.90€ + 9.00€ Seat Reservation + 9.00€ Checked bag = 50.90€
Norwegian Airlines Oslo, Norway OSL to Krakow, Poland KRK 32.90€ + 12.00€ Seat Reservation + 12.00€ Checked bag = 56.90€
Two one-tickets SVG-OSL and OSL-KRK with seat assignment and one checked bag = 107.80€.
Yet, bundle these two one-way tickets into a single SVG-KRK one-stop via Oslo and the price rises to 116.60€. Buying a single ticket raises the price by 8.80€.
Norwegian prices SVG-KRK at 74.60€ one way on Sep 12. Book these same flights as two one-way tickets SVG-OSL and OSL-KRK and the total price is 65.80€. The seat assignment and checked bag fees are the same, whether ticketed as one SVG-OSL-KRK ticket or two separate flights SVG-OSL and OSL-KRK.
Since there are so many direct flights between airports outside Scandinavia, booking travel can be lower priced by flying to another airport for the flight destination you really desire. For example, fares to Gran Canaria are lower priced from London, Barcelona and Madrid than they are from Stockholm or Copenhagen. Flying Stockholm to Oslo to Barcelona to Gran Canaria can be a lower ticket price than flying direct and allow you to see three cities with Norwegian Airlines as a traveler rather than a quick week getaway to the Canary Islands as a vacationer.
Next up, I’ll show how to combine Norwegian Air low fare routes with low hotel rate cities in potential travel itineraries using hotel loyalty program flights and low cost Norwegian flight segments to see Europe.