Marriott Rewards launched their new Cash + Points reward nights yesterday. These offer the potential to improve your points redemption value compared to Standard Rewards, but my initial searches have revealed there is no easy way I see to find these rates without checking individual hotels.
Marriott Cash + Points Reward Nights
Using Cash + Points
Is Cash + Points available for members of both Marriott Rewards® and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards®?
- Yes, Marriott Rewards and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards both offer Cash + Points. Participation varies by hotel.
Does Cash + Points follow No Blackout Dates?
- No, members can redeem their points for Cash + Points at participating Marriott® brand hotels and The Ritz-Carlton® hotels based on availability. Participation varies by hotel.
Will I earn Elite night credits with Cash + Points?
- Yes, you will earn one Elite night credit for every night redeemed and stayed using Cash + Points.
Will I earn points on the cash portion of Cash + Points?
- No, members will not earn points on the cash portion of Cash + Points.
Will Cash + Points count toward “Redeem 4 Nights, Get the 5th Night Free”?
- No, Cash + Points does not count toward “Redeem 4 Nights, Get the 5th Night Free.”
Do Cash + Points amounts fluctuate?
- No, Cash + Points amounts remain the same within each hotel category. Please refer to the chart for further details.
Marriott website hotel search does not show if Cash + Points rewards available, until you click on a specific hotel property.
Hopefully Marriott learns how to display Cash + Points reward availability similar to Starwood.
There is a new FlyerTalk thread on Marriott Cash + Points which may be a useful resource as the discussion grows over time. I thought I might find a tip for how to locate Cash + Points, but nothing yet on FlyerTalk or Marriott Rewards Insiders.
The problem finding Marriott Rewards Cash + Points Rewards:
I search Minneapolis on Marriott for a list of Marriott brand hotels and rates for Tuesday May 10.
I check the box use Marriott Rewards points and a search return brings up 29 Marriott brand hotels in Minneapolis showing room rate and Marriott Rewards standard reward night points There is no indication in the search results if there are Cash + Points rates available at any of the 29 hotels.
I tried a dozen cities and dozens of hotels looking for Marriott Cash + Points rewards. I found them in a couple of hotels in Albuquerque and Minneapolis in a hunt and peck hotel search.
Minneapolis Marriott City Center May 10, 2016
- Standard rate = $289 ($327.71 after tax).
- Member Offer = $231 ($262.17 after tax). Same day before arrival cancellation with no penalty terms as Standard Rate.
- Free night = 30,000 points (Marriott Rewards redemption value = $8.74 per 1,000 points)
- Cash + Points = $75 + 17,500 points (Marriott Rewards redemption value = $10.70 per 1,000 points)
- As far as I can tell the cash portion is considered a points purchase by Marriott Rewards and it does not appear to incur hotel tax. That is a big boost over Starwood Preferred Guest Cash & Points rates, if that is true.
I certainly hope Marriott gets a better website solution for viewing Cash + Points. They can pick up some tips from Starwood Preferred Guest for user friendliness in the hotel rate search.
No need to check each Starwood Hotel individually to find SPG Cash & Points availability when searching specific dates at Minneapolis Starwood Hotels.
Marriott Rewards Cash + Points are a new reward option I look forward to using – when I can find them.