There have been some low fares from Los Angeles to Australia on Hotwire recently like $654 round trip Los Angeles to Gold Coast Australia OOL with Hawaiian and Virgin Australia. These are flights showing up on Kayak.com/Explore, but not on Google Flights. The itinerary shown on Kayak is travel July 23, arrival in Australia on July 25 and return July 28. That is too short a time for most travelers for such a long-haul flight.
I changed dates to search +/- 3 days on Kayak.com for a return one week later and found availability on Hotwire at $654 round trip for LAX to Honolulu to Sydney to Gold Coast, Australia, the coastal resort area near Brisbane in Queensland.
Hawaiian Airlines and Virgin Australia
- Saturday July 23 Hawaiian Los Angeles – Honolulu HNL
- Saturday July 23 Hawaiian Honolulu HNL – Sydney SYD
- Monday July 25 Virgin Australia Sydney SYD – Gold Coast OOL
- Thursday August 4 Virgin Australia Gold Coast OOL – Sydney SYD
- Thursday August 4 Hawaiian Sydney SYD – Honolulu HNL
- Thursday August 4 Hawaiian Honolulu HNL – Los Angeles LAX
$653.66 round trip on HotWire.com
This is a low fare to Australia. Most sites price fares for July around $1,300 round trip. The only way I know to find this deal is play around with dates on Hotwire and see what turns up with July as a starting point for low fares.
WheretoCredit.com indicates Hawaiian K fares earn 100% miles with Korean Air and China Airlines or 50% miles with Virgin Australia and Virgin Atlantic or 35% miles with JetBlue.