IHG Rewards Club Platinum and Spire members have a limited time offer to book Points & Cash reward nights at 15% off the cash portion for reward stays through April 30, 2016.
This offer is valid for stays booked by Saturday, March 26.
All IHG Rewards Club credit card holders are IHG Platinum elite and qualify for this discount. You should be able to see the discount rates when logged into your account.
• 15% discount is offered at time of booking and only pertains to the cash cost of bookings.
• Must be a Platinum Elite or Spire Elite member at the time of booking to be eligible for offer.
• *Bookings for The Venetian® and The Palazzo® hotels are excluded from discounts.
• This offer is subject to the general IHG® Rewards Club membership Terms and Conditions.
Monterey, California on Saturday April 15
My hometown of Monterey is a tourist-oriented town where hotel rates frequently double or triple in price on Friday and Saturday weekend nights. These are the best value nights for reward stays.
Holiday Inn Express Monterey Cannery Row
Thursday to Sunday, April 15
- Nonrefundable Room Rate = $272.99/night for $303.47 after tax.
- Best Flexible Rate = $299.99 for $333.39 after tax.
- IHG Standard Reward = 40,000 points (Redemption value = $8.33/1000 points).
- IHG Points & Cash = 35,000 + $34 (Redemption value = $8.55/1,000 points).
- IHG Points & Cash = 30,000 + $59.50 (Redemption value = $9.13/1,000 points).
- IHG Points & Cash = 25,000 + $85.00 (Redemption value = $9.93/1,000 points).
Redemption values were calculated using the higher Best Flexible Rate since a reward stay has the same flexible cancellation rules.
IHG Rewards Club standard rewards and IHG Points & Cash Reward stays do not incur hotel tax in most instances since cash you spend buys the points needed for a standard reward and is not a cash copay like SPG, Hilton, Hyatt and Marriott where the cash portion is considered a taxable hotel payment. Some hotels may still require a small local city tax on reward stays. In Europe, I typically pay 2 to 3 Euros per night in city tax for hotel reward stays in places like Amsterdam and Geneva.
Route to cheap IHG Rewards Club Points
The option to buy 15,000 points for $85 at some hotels brings the price down to $5.67 per 1,000 points. This allows a member to buy points for less than half the cost of the normal purchase price through IHG Rewards Club.
A cheap route to growing IHG Rewards Club points balance is book a 3-night Points & Cash stay at a hotel like Holiday Inn Express Monterey Cannery Row where I can buy 15,000 points per reward night for $85.
I redeem 75,000 points from my IHG Rewards Club account and buy 45,000 points for $255. This specific reservation has a 7-day advance cancellation rule for no penalty.
If I book this stay for April 14-17, then cancel next week, the 120,000 points are deposited back into my account instantly.
Effectively I grow my IHG Rewards Club account balance by 45,000 points for $255.
This strategy allows the purchase of IHG points at the rate of $5.67 per 1,000 points. This is lower than IHG sells points during their best buy points with 100% bonus points limited time offers when the rate is $5.75 per 1,000 points.
Loyalty Traveler – IHG introduces Points and Cash copay variability (Feb 2, 2016).
IHG Accelerate 2016 ( targeted member tasks)
IHG PointBreaks to January 31, 2016
- Loyalty Traveler – IHG PointBreaks Oct 26-Jan 31 Full List