Choice Privileges Stay Two Times and Earn a Free Night promotion is actually an 8,000 points promotion after every two stays from March 3 to May 5, 2016 at any Choice Hotels brand. This offer requires promotion registration prior to completing your first stay. Bonus points are earned every two qualifying stays through the promotion period.
There are about 1,500 Choice Privileges hotels globally at 8,000 points, which they equate to earning a free night through this promotion. There used to be some surprisingly good, or at least high priced hotels seasonally in places like central London and Paris, but those seasonal deals went away a couple years back. Read on to see how this offer can still get you into a discount room rate at a Preferred Hotels & Resorts partner property of Choice Privileges.
Fine print of 8,000 points offer
Choice Privileges tends to do things differently than other hotel loyalty programs. They call this a free night promotion, but you actually earn bonus points. You earn 8,000 points after two stays, but these are not all bonus points. Figuring out he size of your bonus depends on the room rate paid for your two qualifying stays.
- Choice Privileges adds bonus points to base points earned to reach 8,000 points after two stays. This bonus offer is applicable to every two qualifying stays during the promotion.
- All Choice Hotels brands earn 10 points per USD in room rate before tax.
- Assume $75 per night and 2 separate one night hotel stays. $150 in room rate after two stays earns 1,500 base points. Choice Privileges adds 6,500 bonus points = 8,000 points after two stays spending $150.
- Assume $200 per stay with total Choice Hotels room rate spend $400 for two hotel stays. Earn 4,000 base points in Choice Privileges and receive the minimum 5,000 bonus points = 9,000 Choice Privileges points after two stays spending $400.
Choice Privileges spring 2016 offer does not include the 2-night qualifying stay requirement from past versions of this promotion. 2016 changes to Choice Privileges made all hotel brands equal for earning points at 10 base points per USD. Before the 2016 changes, there were four Choice Hotels’ economy and extended stay brands earning 5 base points per USD. These were EconoLodge, Rodeway Inn, MainStay Suites and Suburban Extended Stay. Past versions of this recurring Choice Privileges promotion required 2-night stays at these four brands to qualify for bonus points. The current promotion allows one night hotel stays at all Choice Hotels brands.
A good new reason to consider earning Choice Privileges points
Choice Privileges has added the option for Points Plus Cash reward nights at Preferred Hotels & Resorts. Member must have 10,000 points per reward night and pay $7.50 per 1,000 points for the remaining points cost. The cost of Preferred Hotels & Resorts partner rewards dropped by 5,000 points per night across the board.
Choice Privileges Points Plus Cash rates for Preferred Hotels & Resorts
- 25,000 Points = 10,000 Choice Privileges Points and $112.50/night
- 35,000 Points = 10,000 Choice Privileges Points and $187.50/night
- 45,000 Points = 10,000 Choice Privileges Points and $262.50/night
- 55,000 Points = 10,000 Choice Privileges Points and $337.50/night
Loyalty Traveler – Buy up to 250,000 points per year with Choice Privileges Points Plus Cash (March 2, 2016).
Earn 8,000 points for $82 is cheaper than buying points
You can always buy 10,000 points for $110 through Choice Privileges, but many hotel locations will allow you to pick up 8,000 points for less than $88, while buying two hotel nights.
The rate tonight for Econolodge Monterey is $40.96. I can essentially buy 8,000 points for $82 with a hotel stay reservation tonight and another night next week while driving to my grocery shopping at Costco. Weekdays in winter offer some low rates at Choice Hotels in this Monterey beach resort town.