American Airlines, Delta and United have several upper South American routes on sale at competitive prices. Star Alliance members Avianca and Copa and SkyTeam member Aeromexico have similar fares and more low fare departure dates for flights with those alliances. Colombia and Ecuador have sub-$500 fares, while Peru and Bolivia are sub-$600 fares.
Below are today’s low fares from Los Angeles LAX with the three major alliances for several South American routes:
LAX to Upper South America
La Paz LPB $550 American Airlines (about six departure dates in Jan-Feb).
- 11,249 flight miles via Miami
Bogota BOG $431 United Airlines or Delta Airlines
- Star Alliance: Avianca and Copa fly Bogota too.
- Spirit Airlines flies this route via Fort Lauderdale FLL with fares mostly at $428, but Feb 6 at $388 round trip.
Bogota BOG $464 American Airlines. There are numerous departure dates available all the way into June 2016 for this higher fare.
Medellin MDE $467 American Airlines or Delta Airlines (into June 2016)
- Star Alliance: Avianca and Copa $453.
- SkyTeam Alliance: Aeromexico $460
Quito UIO $453 Delta Airlines
- This route is available on Delta for $500 or less nearly every date to December 2016.
- Star Alliance: Avianca and Copa $479 through December 2016.
- American Airlines $512 and fares are $618 to $800s for June, July and August.
Lima LIM $590 American Airlines and United Airlines with departure dates into May.
- SkyTeam Alliance: Aeromexico $575 lots of dates into May. Delta Airlines has few dates at $590. Mostly $600s and $700s for Delta operated flights.
- United Airlines routes LAX-Lima, Peru via Houston for 9,024 flight miles.
- American Airlines LAX-LIM via Miami is 9,900 flight miles.
Cusco CUZ $690 Copa and Avianca
Star Alliance members Copa and Avianca have LAX to CUZ Cusco, Peru priced as low as $690 round trip for purchase through online travel agencies like Priceline and Orbitz. That is a good deal for Star Alliance members.
Oneworld flights LAX-CUS are priced at a staggering $1,000+ for American Airlines and LAN. You can reduce that cost significantly by purchasing two separate tickets flying American Airlines to Lima for $590 and flying OneWorld partner LAN Airlines from Lima to Cusco for around $100 to $110 round trip.
American Airlines Los Angeles LAX – Miami – La Paz, Bolivia – Santa Cruz, Bolivia – Miami – LAX
$549.76 round trip. 11,249 flight miles. (AAdvantage 4.9 cents/EQM)