Toronto YYZ offers an opportunity to travel to Europe at prices hundreds of dollars less than direct flights from the USA for travel from September to December. I think of this as a strategy more applicable for September travel, since there will be more sales for US departures over the next six weeks.
Getting to Toronto can be as simple as a low cost Avios points award ticket. For example, travel from New York to Toronto on American Airlines is only 9,000 points round trip.
An award ticket to Canada is far less than the award cost for flying to Europe. Those miles earned on revenue tickets for Toronto departures also earn miles, elite qualification credit and may even be eligible for an elite member upgrade to business class.
The low price of tickets from YYZ makes revenue tickets a good value in place of redeeming points for award travel from the USA.
All prices listed are in USD.
Toronto YYZ to Europe under $500 USD round trip on Oneworld Alliance carriers.
- Helsinki, Finland HEL – American Airlines/FinnAir $400
- Riga, Latvia RIX – FinnAir $403 (ticket online American Airlines)
- Vilnius, Lithuania VNO – FinnAir $408 (ticket by phone AA)
- Gothenburg, Sweden GOT – FinnAir $421 (ticket on American Airlines)
- Copenhagen, Denmark CPH – FinnAir $448
- Stockholm, Sweden ARN – American Airlines/FinnAir $453
- Oslo, Norway OSL – FinnAir/SAS $453
Toronto YYZ to Europe around $500 USD round trip on SkyTeam Alliance.
- Rome, Italy FCO $495 Alitalia/Air France
- Tallinn, Estonia TLL $343 KLM/Estonia Air
- Riga, Latvia RIX $378 KLM/Air Baltic
- Zagreb, Croatia $544 KLM/Croatia Airlines
Other great deals from Toronto over $500 round trip
- Paris, France CDG $520 US Airways/FinnAir (buy online AA.com)
Toronto YYZ – Paris CDG $680 CAD = $519.37 USD xe.com
- London $608 Air Canada nonstop flights ($607-$629 Sep to Dec dates)
- Amsterdam $660 USD/$864 CAD LOT Polish (Star Alliance)
- Dublin, Ireland DUB $535 Air Canada nonstop flights (mostly November dates)
- Barcelona, Spain BCN $600 Air Canada/Swiss
- Madrid and several other airports in Spain are priced $600 to $630 Air Canada/Swiss
- Porto, Portugal OPO $620 to $635 Lufthansa/Air Canada/Swiss
- Lisbon, Portugal LIS $597 US Airways/American Airlines
- Nice, France NCE $567 Jet Airways/Brussels
- Prague, Czech Republic $611 Jet Airways/Brussels
Main point is to think about departures from Canada when you are faced with high prices to the European destination you desire. Canada is not always significantly cheaper than the USA, but there are times like today when you should look north for bargain prices to Europe from Toronto and Vancouver.
Comments are closed.