This is the second part of my piece WOW! How Low Cost Carriers are Changing the European Travel Itinerary Experience where I illustrate a sample low cost travel itinerary within Europe. This is travel centered around Washington BWI – CDG Paris, France on WOW Airlines departing July 6 with a $374 one-way ticket and a one-way ticket for return flight with Norwegian Airlines from Stockholm, Sweden ARN – JFK, New York on July 23 for $371. Delta is $88 to fly JFK back to Washington DCA. $833 + bag fees is the cost for the transatlantic flights.
This is about $200 to $400 less than most fares from major airlines.
Obviously there is going to be an expense involved to get from Paris to Stockholm during the 16 days from arrival in Paris, France to departure from Stockholm, Sweden.
This article shares a sample itinerary using low cost European airlines and major airlines with deeply discounted fares to travel to other countries in Europe on the way to Stockholm.
Arrival July 7 at noon on WOW flight from Iceland. Assume five nights in Paris and leave July 12.
Google Flights shows several airports with one way tickets under $75 on July 12.
- Nantes, France $54
- Pau, France $54 (big Tour de France July cycling race location)
- Frankfurt $55
- Amsterdam $56
- London $58
- Stuttgart, Germany $66
- Pisa, Italy $71
- Barcelona, Spain $75
Ticket #1: Paris, France to Amsterdam, Netherlands
Sunday July 12
Air France $56 purchased on Air France site.
One way travel CDG-AMS on Air France is $56 every day of the week in mid July.
Ticket # 2: Amsterdam – London Wednesday, July 15
From Amsterdam Google Flights shows several cities under $100 one way.
- London Gatwick LGW $47 Garuda Indonesia
- London Gatwick LGW British Airways $50
- Exeter, England $53 FlyBe
- Manchester, England $53 FlyBe
- Nice, France $72 Transavia
- Venice, Italy $81 Transavia
- Dublin, Ireland $83 Aer Lingus
July 15 one-way flight Amsterdam AMS – LGW London
Garuda Indonesia €43.05 = $46.89 USD.
Or book British Airways for $3 more.
Monday July 20 Flight Ticket #3 London STN – NYO Stockholm
The itinerary I developed here means reaching Stockholm by July 23 for the flight back to the USA. That is an arbitrary date I selected based on a Norwegian Airlines low fare. There are other dates with low or lower Norwegian Airlines fares for travel back to the states in August. Here are some other places you could travel from London for under $75 on a one-way ticket on July 20, 2015. Ryanair operates its most routes from London Stansted STN.
- Dublin, Ireland $30 Ryanair
- Edinburgh, Scotland STN- EDI $35 Ryanair
- Belfast, Northern Ireland $42 Aer Lingus
- Berlin, Germany $42 STN-SXF Ryanair
- Nuremburg, Germany NUE $54 Ryanair
- Prague, Czech Republic $64 Ryanair
- Madrid, Spain $70 Ryanair
Travel from Washington DC to Europe, and visiting several countries around Europe with a flight back to Washington on less than $1,000 in tickets in July 2015 is possible.
Washington DC area to Paris, Amsterdam, London and Stockholm airfare on six one-way tickets for travel July 6 to July 23 = $990.
- Monday, July 6 Washington BWI – CDG Paris, France $374 WOW Air
- Sunday, July 12 Paris France CDG – AMS Amsterdam $56 Air France
- Wednesday, July 15 Amsterdam AMS – LGW London Gatwick $47 Garuda Indonesia
- Monday, July 20 London Stansted STN – NYO Stockholm, Sweden $54 RyanAir
- Thursday, July 23 Stockholm ARN – JFK New York $371 Norwegian Air
- Thursday, July 23 New York JFK – DCA Washington National $88 Delta
Pack light to minimize bag fees for these flights. Bag fees change the fares by hundreds of dollars if you have to check a suitcase. Some airlines like WOW charge for carryon bags too.
This article share one example of an itinerary for July 2015 from Washington DC area to Europe using WOW airlines and Norwegian Airlines to fly transatlantic between USA and Europe in July 2015 for $1,000 round trip while visiting Paris, Amsterdam, London and Stockholm.
Travel around Europe is inexpensive with numerous itineraries possible for low cost flights between countries. From the ticket prices shown in this post, legacy airlines are offering deep discounts to compete with the low cost airlines operating around Europe.