Several times a year I look at hotel financial reports and determine average daily rates for different hotel brands. Last week I found the Q3 2014 data already compiled for average rates by hotel chain and brands on a website called ChainHotels.com.
Top 10 most expensive hotel brands:
1. St. Regis/Luxury Collection (Starwood Hotels) $346.28
2. Park Hyatt (Hyatt Hotels) $332.51
3. Ritz-Carlton (Marriott International) $317.67
4. Waldorf-Astoria (Hilton Worldwide) $303.75
5. Andaz (Hyatt Hotels) $295.78
6. W Hotels (Starwood Hotels) $295.75
7. Conrad Hotels (Hilton Hotels) $253.84
8. Grand Hyatt (Hyatt Hotels) $237.17
9. Dream (Wyndham Hotels) $221.73
10. Autograph Collection (Marriott International) $216.30
My last stay in a St. Regis was December 2012 at the St. Regis Bal Harbour, Florida on a SPG Amex blogger comp stay. I stayed in three St. Regis hotels that month and came to the conclusion that while the properties are beautiful, I don’t really like luxury hotels. The constant staff attention is annoying to me when walking around a hotel and it seems like getting a simple cup of coffee generally costs $5.
I stayed at Hotel Kamp in Helsinki, Finland last year. I loved that stay in an historic suite. Hotel Kämp Helsinki, Starwood Luxury Collection
Park Hyatt is a hotel brand I rarely visit. Too rich for my blood. I have been to Park Hyatt Beaver Creek and Park Hyatt Chicago, but those stays were both back in 2010. Park Hyatt Beaver Creek in HD (Hotel Detail) and Park Hyatt Beaver Creek in HD (Hotel Detail).
I have never stayed at a Ritz-Carlton or Waldorf-Astoria hotel. I have eaten some meals in Ritz-Carlton. I have never even been inside a Waldorf-Astoria hotel yet.
My first experience with Andaz was the rock n roll Andaz West Hollywood on Sunset Blvd. Hyatt’s Riot House legacy Andaz West Hollywood. This year I had one of my best hotels stays at Andaz Savannah. Hotel Review: Andaz Savannah Suite.
W Hotels are interesting to visit, although the rooms tend to be too small for my liking. W Hotel San Francisco in HD.
I walked by the W Leicester Square in London two weeks ago. After being refused entrance into the Ritz London due to my tennis shoes, I did not even attempt to get by the immensely large doormen at W London on a Friday night.
I stayed at Conrad Miami in December 2012 on a special holiday rate of $109.
Grand Hyatt hotels are convention style business hotels. I have stayed at Grand Hyatt San Francisco several times, but not since it was remodeled a couple years back and went up to category 5. I prefer the Hyatt Regency San Francisco and it is still a category 4 Gold Passport reward.
Dream hotels are a Wyndham brand in New York, South Beach and Bangkok. I have not seen one yet.
Autograph Collection of Marriott is the only brand of the top ten expensive brands that I have frequented in 2014.
I really liked the Kessler Collection hotels I visited last May in St. Augustine, Florida and Savannah, Georgia.
Top 10 least expensive hotel brands:
1. Suburban (Choice Hotels)
2. Knights Inn (Wyndham Worldwide)
3. Super 8 (Wyndham Worldwide)
4. Rodeway (Choice Hotels)
5. Econo Lodge (Choice Hotels)
6. Howard Johnson (Wyndham Worldwide)
7. Baymont (Wyndham Worldwide)
8. Days Inn (Wyndham Worldwide)
9. Microtel Inn and Suites (Wyndham Worldwide)
10. Travelodge (Wyndham Worldwide)
I have not stayed at a hotel in any of these brands in the past decade. I have purchased Wyndham Rewards points and Choice Privileges points during the U.S. Travel Assocaition Daily Getaways hotel points sales.
I have used Wyndham Rewards points for Ramada stays and this year I stayed in Charleston, SC at the historic Mills House using points. Historic Charleston, SC 1853 The Mills House Wyndham Grand Hotel.
For two weeks in Norway in September 2014, I redeemed 216,000 Choice Privileges points for approximately $6,000 in hotel rooms at Ascend Collection and Clarion Collection hotels. Norway is insanely expensive and the free hotels and meals at Clarion Collection hotels allowed me to live two weeks in fine hotels and only spend $25 on food.
- Hotel Review Clarion Royal Christiania Oslo, Norway (Sep 6)
- Hotel Review Clarion Collection Hotel Bastion Oslo, Norway (Sep 7)
- Hotel Review: Farris Bad, Ascend Collection Larvik, Norway (Sep 10)
- Hotel Review Farris Bad Kaupang Suite upgrade (Sep 10)
- Hotel Atlantic Sandefjord offers whaling culture experience and beds too (Sep 11)
- Hotel Atlantic Sandefjord, Clarion Collection (Sep 13)
- Clarion Collection No 13 Bergen, Norway (Sep 15)
- Clarion Collection Havnekontoret Bergen, TripAdvisor #1 hotel – Part One (Sep 16)
- Clarion Collection Havnekontoret Bergen – Part Two (Sep 16)
- How I stole 2 nights at The Thief Oslo with points (Sep 23)
- Hotel Review The Thief Oslo Room 603 (Sep 23)
- The Thief Oslo by design (Sep 24)
- Clarion Collection Folketeateret Oslo is recommended Nordic Choice Hotel (Sep 27)
Check out this ChainHotels.com page for the average room rates in different brands sorted in tables by hotel chain like all Hilton brands, all Starwood brands….