One of the common misconceptions among leisure travelers is hotel rates are high during Thanksgiving and Christmas weeks when so many families take to the road. In my experience, these are two of the best weeks of the year for finding deep hotel rate discounts. There are few business travelers during these holiday weeks and hotels cut rates at many urban hotels to their lowest of the year to fill rooms.
Marriott has a special rate offer for select hotels in the Chicago area for stays through December 26. Use promotion code HOL in the rate search.
- Chicago Marriott O’Hare – rates from $87 per night
- Renaissance Chicago O’Hare Suites Hotel – rates from $79 per night
- Renaissance Blackstone Chicago Hotel – rates from $129 per night
- Chicago Marriott Suites Downers Grove – rates from $71 per night
- Lincolnshire Marriott Resort – rates from $87 per night
- Chicago Oak Brook Hills Marriott Resort – rates from $87 per night
- Chicago Marriott Oak Brook – rates from $79 per night
- Peoria Marriott Pere Marquette – rates from $71 per night
- Chicago Marriott Suites O’Hare – rates from $87 per night
- Renaissance Schaumburg Convention Center Hotel – rates from $95 per night
These are the hotels listed in the press release.
Renaissance Blackstone has a rate far lower than the $129 shown. Thanksgiving week rates came up at $103 using the HOL promotion code. For this specific hotel the AAA rate is even better with another 5% off at $97 per night. Both the HOL rate and the AAA rate have prepaid, nonrefundable rules for The Blackstone.
I was ready to write off the HOV promo code as a waste of time, yet rate searches at the other hotels on this list showed the HOL rate lower than AAA. These low rates shown above for the ten hotels look like they are primarily for Thanksgiving and Christmas week stays. Many of these sub-$100 Marriott properties are in the $200 range next week.
Keep in mind that Marriott Rewards members enrolled in Marriott MegaBonus earn one free category 1-5 hotel night after two stays by January 15, 2014. Two free night certificate limit during the promotion. Rates like these make earning free nights a great deal when staying at marriott brand hotels. The free night certificate posts to you account after the second stay and is valid for one year.
***** Marriott Rewards – MegaBonus Sep 15, 2013 – Jan 15, 2014 (Loyalty Traveler post Aug 12)
- One free category 1-5 night after two stays. Limit of two free night certificates for promotion.
- Marriott MegaBonus 2013 Q4 link.
Ric Garrido of Monterey, California is writer and owner of Loyalty Traveler.
Loyalty Traveler shares news and views on hotels, hotel loyalty programs and vacation destinations for frequent guests.