Alaska Airlines has my attention with their fall 2013 San Diego flight promotion for a free ticket after four San Diego segments.
1. Register for the promotion before flights. Promotion is limited to California residents.
2. Fly four nonstop segments between San Diego and one of the following cities by November 20, 2013:
- Boise (BOI)
- Boston (BOS)
- Fresno (FAT)
- Honolulu (HNL)
- Kahului, Maui (OGG)
- Lihue, Kauai (LIH)
- Los Cabos, Mexico (SJD)
- Monterey (MRY)
- Orlando (MCO)
- Portland (PDX)
- Puerto Vallarta (PVR)
- Santa Rosa (STS)
- Seattle (SEA)
This promotion requires four segments either departing or arriving in San Diego. This can be four one-way segments or two round trips.
3. Air miles must be credited to Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan by December 15, 2013.
4. Discount code for a free airline ticket will be mailed out around December 20, 2013.
5. Maximum of one discount code per Mileage Plan member.
6. Once you’ve received your Discount Code, redeem it by January 31, 2014, for travel valid January 7, 2014, through November 15, 2014, between San Diego and any Alaska Airlines destination we fly to from there. Taxes and fees from $19 apply.
Alaska Airlines Discount Code Terms & Conditions:
Discount Code is valid for one-way or round-trip travel between San Diego and any Alaska Airlines city served from San Diego. Passenger is responsible for all applicable taxes, fees, and surcharges, including checked baggage fees. Discount Code must be ticketed by January 31, 2014. No changes are allowed once ticket is issued. Travel is valid from January 7, 2014, through November 15, 2014. W class of service must be available. Seats are limited and may not be available on every flight. Discount Codes are non-transferable. The recipient of the Discount Code must be the traveler. Not eligible for Mileage Plan™ or other frequent flyer program miles. Discount Code cannot be applied to tickets that have already been purchased and issued. Valid only on flights operated by Alaska Airlines, and flights operated on behalf of Alaska Airlines by Horizon Air, Sky West and PenAir.
Lowest one way fares during the promotion period
- Fresno-San Diego FAT-SAN = $79
- Monterey-San Diego MRY-SAN = $94
- Portland-San Diego PDX-SAN = $109
- Santa Rosa-San Diego STS-SAN = $115
- Seattle-San Diego SEA-SAN = $119
- Boise-San Diego BOI-SAN = $129 (Nov dates)
- Orlando-San Diego MCO-SAN = $142
- Los Cabos, Mexico-San Diego SJD-SAN = $153
- Boston-San Diego BOS-SAN = $169
- Honolulu-San Diego HNL-SAN = $189
- Kahului, Maui-San Diego OGG-SAN = $201
I am fortunate to live in Monterey about four miles from the airport. Two roundtrip tickets at $376 all-in will earn a free ticket from San Diego to anywhere Alaska Airlines flies from San Diego.
I have not planned out an itinerary yet, but I like the thought of Seattle or Orlando or even Los Cabos as add-on roundtrip flights to knock out the four segments through San Diego with one trip away from home. I am not into mileage runs anymore. This deal for me will include several nights of touring San Diego which has been on my to do list since 2008.
Trips to two cities with San Diego and somewhere else and then a free ticket on Alaska Airlines from San Diego in 2014 looks like a good value promotion for me.
Alaska Airlines San Diego Fly 2 Bonus Offer
As an aside note: Ten years ago in fall 2003 I flew 35 segments on Alaska/Horizon for 100,000 bonus miles. I completed the promotion with five tickets. Four of the tickets were 8-segment roundtrips SJC-BOI-xxx-SEA-PDX with xxx being different small towns in Idaho and Washington. Each 8-segment ticket was $158. I finished off the promotion with a trip to Vancouver, BC. $800 and I earned about 140,000 miles as a Mileage Plan MVP Gold. I redeemed 100,000 miles that December for First Class on British Airways to Europe.
This game was more fun for me when the big miles bonuses were awarded for flying before credit card spend co-opted the frequent flyer programs.
I look forward to getting up in the air with Alaska Airlines again.