Marriott Gift Card purchases for $100, $250 or $500 Gift Card denominations earn up to 12,000 Rapid Rewards points with Southwest Airlines during the August 1 through September 26, 2013 promotion.
12,000 Rapid Rewards points are worth $200 on Southwest Airlines ‘Wanna Getaway’ fares.
60 Rapid Rewards points = $1 fare credit. for Wanna Getaway fares.
100 Rapid Rewards points = $1 fare credit for Anytime fares.
120 Rapid Rewards points = $1 fare credit for Business Select fares.
The earn rate for Rapid Rewards bonus points is constant regardless of the Marriott gift card denomination, so there is no earn rate advantage to any specific amount of purchases. The promotion maximum limit is 12,000 Rapid Rewards points with $1,000 in Gift Card purchases.
- $100 Marriott Gift Card = 1,200 Rapid Rewards points bonus
- $250 Marriott Gift Card = 3,000 Rapid Rewards points bonus
- $500 Marriott Gift Card = 6,000 Rapid Rewards points bonus
This is a great deal for the frequent guest of Marriott hotel brands with a $200 rebate value in Southwest Airlines points for a $1,000 purchase.
Or you can spend in the low $100s and earn some bonus airline points and a Marriott gift card to pay for your next hotel stay.
Earn Southwest Rapid Rewards points with Marriott brand hotel stays
Rapid Rewards members can choose to earn 600 points per stay at at all Marriott hotel brands. Last year Ritz-Carlton stays did not earn 600 Southwest Rapid Rewards points, but apparently they do now in August 2013 according to the Marriott miles earning chart.
Several other hotel loyalty programs also offer 600 Rapid Rewards points per hotel stay ($10 value). Southwest is a good program with respect to hotel stays with uniform earning across most major hotel chains.
Southwest Rapid Rewards points earned per hotel stay instead of hotel loyalty points is sometimes a better earning deal on a low cost stay that would otherwise earn little value in hotel points. Southwest $10 credit is often a better value than 500 miles with another airline choice 500 Marriott points for a $100 stay at Residence Inn or TownePlace Suites.
Redeem Marriott Rewards points for Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards points.
70,000 Marriott Rewards points = 25,000 Rapid Rewards points in a Marriott Rewards points-to-miles transfer. Points-to-Miles is one area of recent devaluation in the Marriott Rewards program in the past couple of months after the 125,000 Marriott points = 50,000 Rapid Rewards points exchange rate changed to 140,000 Marriott = 50,000 Rapid Rewards. The highest exchange rate is now 70,000 Marriott points = 25,000 Rapid Rewards points.
Marriott Gift Card Offer and Terms and Conditions
- Marriott Gift Cards, purchased in $100 increments earn 1,200 Rapid Rewards Points, $250 increments earn 3,000 Rapid Rewards Points and $500 increments earn 6,000 Rapid Rewards Points, allowing a maximum of 12,000 points to be awarded during promotional period.
- This is an online promotion only and cannot be combined with any other offer.
- Offer not valid on Marriott Gift Cards purchased on property, via 3rd parties or 1 800 813 GIFT.
- Promotion is valid August 1, 2013 through September 26, 2013 only.
- The Marriott Gift Card can be used for all purchases and services charged to a Marriott guest room folio.
- If you are not a registered hotel guest and are planning to use this card at a spa, restaurant, retail store, or other outlet, please confirm in advance that the Marriott Gift Card is accepted.
- The Marriott Gift Card cannot be used to guarantee a room reservation, but may be used as payment at check-out.
- Gift Card purchases earning Rapid Rewards Points are not eligible for return or refund.
- This is a limited time, limited inventory offer. Marriott Rewards points will not be earned with the purchase of the gift cards.
- Shipping and handling fees apply.
- $1 shipping option available to U.S. addresses only for orders less than $1,000 USD.
- Purchaser’s name must match Rapid Rewards account number to receive eligible points.
- Please allow four to six weeks after purchase for points to appear in your account.
Marriott ran this exact same promotion August to November 2012. This is a good value promotion for up to $1,000 in Marriott gift cards you can use to pay for Marriott stays while earning promotion credit and Marriott points and up to $200 in Southwest Airlines Wanna Getaway fare credit.
Ric Garrido, writer and content owner of Loyalty Traveler, shares news and views on hotels, hotel loyalty programs and vacation destinations for frequent guests. You can follow Loyalty Traveler on Twitter and Facebook and RSS feed.