Hyatt Gold Passport in New York reveals the variability in the value of points as room rates wildly fluctuate from week to week and weeknights to weekends. There are six Hyatt properties currently open in Manhattan and the new Hyatt Times Square New York scheduled to open later in 2013. The Hyatt Regency Jersey City is also included with Manhattan hotels due to close proximity. One survey looks at seven hotels in Manhattan and Jersey City separately.
Another 15 Hyatt brand hotels are located within 50 miles of New York City in New Jersey, New York and Connecticut. These hotels are grouped together in a separate survey since the room rates and reward rates are substantially lower than Manhattan hotels and provide an alternative hotel option for travelers without the cash or points to stay in Manhattan.
I have done the Manhattan hotel stay and the New Jersey save money hotel stays. I highly recommend the Manhattan hotel if your plan is to spend your time in the city. Commuting wastes hours and hours of your vacation time.
New York hotel rates are the highest in the USA. Manhattan hotel rates regularly top $300 per night.
This survey looks at Tuesday June 11, 2013 and Friday June 14, 2013 for Manhattan hotel rates.
New York City also shows an example of the huge rate difference between weeknights and weekend nights.
The average room rate for a Hyatt Hotel in Manhattan drops from $423 per night for a Tuesday stay in June to $283 per night for a Friday night stay during the same week; a 33% drop. Or from the point of view of the discretionary traveler the weekday rate is 50% more than the weekends. Plan accordingly.
In the New York area of Long Island, Connecticut and New Jersey the weekday rate of $199 drops 25% to $150 per night on the weekend.
Hyatt Gold Passport Reward Analysis for New York Manhattan
- New York Manhattan average room rate Tuesday June 11, 2013 = $423. Tax is 15% additional to these rates.
- New York Manhattan average room rate Friday June 14, 2013 = $283 or 33% less than weeknight.
- Hyatt Gold Passport hotel reward tier:
- 22,000 points = 3 hotels
- 18,000 points = 2 hotels
- 15,000 points = 1 hotels
- Hyatt Place Midtown South is a newly branded category 4 hotel, but no reward category is shown on the hotel’s website or the Hyatt Gold Passport hotel reward category lists. Online reward nights are not an option yet for this hotel.
- Average Reward Rate = 19,500 points.
- Average spend for a free night = $3,900.
- Redemption Value Range = $11.27 to $27.04 per 1,000 points.
- Weeknight Average redemption value = $22.16 per 1,000 points for Tuesday, June 11, 2013.
- Weekend Average redemption value = $14.39 per 1,000 points for Friday, June 14, 2013.
Hyatt Gold Passport Reward Analysis for New York Regional Area
- New York regional area (Long Island, NY/CT/NJ) average room rate Wednesday June 12, 2013 = $199. Tax is additional to these rates.
- New York regional area average room rate Friday June 14, 2013 = $150 or 25% less.
- Hyatt Gold Passport hotel reward tier:
- 12,000 points = 3 hotels
- 8,000 points = 12 hotels
- Hyatt Place Princeton New Jersey has an astronomical $351 room rate for Friday, June 14, yet a hotel reward night is only 8,000 points giving an impressive redemption value of $44 per 1,000 points.
- Average reward night rate (15 hotels) = 8,800 points.
- Average spend for a free night = $1,760.
- Redemption Value Range = $8.92 to $43.87 per 1,000 points.
- Weeknight Average redemption value = $22.57 per 1,000 points for Wednesday, June 12, 2013.
- Weekend Average redemption value = $17.54 per 1,000 points for Friday, June 14, 2013.
This Hyatt survey is typical of what travelers will see in many major cities where weekday nights at in urban business centers are priced substantially higher than weekend nights.
Resort locations tend to have the opposite pattern of low weekday nights and higher priced weekend nights.
Balancing paid nights and reward nights for the best value redemptions and earning best value promotions is a good way to save cash and get the most value from your Hyatt Gold Passport points.
Loyalty Traveler’s Hyatt Gold Passport page for tips and promotions.
New York Hotel Reward Value Surveys: