Starwood Preferred Guest has a high value promotion “Redeem & Reward” geared for members with high account balances seeking high value award stay rebates in points. Members can receive a 30%, 40% or 50% rebate in points redeemed for award stays from October 21 through December 20, 2012 at 21 select Resorts in North America.
Standard award nights and 5th night free awards are eligible for this rebate.
Cash & Points, Nights & Flights and award nights using SPG Suite upgrades are not eligible for this rebate offer.
The amount of the rebate depends on the specific resort.
• The St. Regis Aspen Resort, Colorado, USA (Category 7)
• The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico, USA (Category 7)
• The St. Regis Bal Harbor Resort, Miami Beach, Florida, USA (Category 7)
• The St. Regis Monarch Beach, Dana Point, California, USA (Category 6)
• The Phoenician, a Luxury Collection Resort, Scottsdale, Arizona, USA (Category 5)
• W South Beach, Miami Beach, Florida, USA (Category 7)
• The Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa, Hollywood, Florida, USA (Category 5)
• W Retreat & Spa — Vieques, Puerto Rico, USA (Category 6)
• The Westin Trillium House, Blue Mountain, Ontario, Canada (Category 5)
• The Westin St. John Resort & Villas, Virgin Islands, USA (Category 5)
• The Westin Mission Hills Resort & Spa, Rancho Mirage, California, USA (Category 5)
• The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Resort & Spa, Cayman Islands (Category 5)
• The Westin Resort & Casino, Aruba (Category 5)
• Sheraton Nassau Beach Resort & Casino, Bahamas (Category 4)
• Sheraton Steamboat Resort, Steamboat Springs, Colorado, USA (Category 5)
• Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa, Chandler, Arizona, USA (Category 4)
• The St. Regis Deer Valley, Park City, Utah, USA (Category 6)
• The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, Scottsdale, Arizona, USA (Category 5)
• The Westin La Cantera Hill Country Resort, San Antonio, Texas, USA (Category 4)
• The Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa, Georgia, USA (Category 4)
• The Westin Whistler Resort & Spa, British Columbia, Canada (Category 5)
Loyalty Traveler Analysis
This promotion rebate means a category 7 hotel like W South Beach at 30,000 points per night will still cost 30,000 points per night for your award reservation. You will receive 15,000 points per night back, up to 6 weeks after your award stay.
You need to have 120,000 points available in your account to make a 5th night free reservation for a category 7 hotel at 30,000 points per night. Your 5 nights will ultimately cost only 60,000 points or 12,000 points per night once you receive the 60,000 points rebate for this hotel.
SPG is currently selling points at $28 per 1,000 points with a member limit of 20,000 points for $560. A couple with the same residence can each buy 20,000 points, then transfer points into one account for 40,000 points at $1,120. I explained this in detail in a post this week on buying Starpoints.
So even if you have no Starpoints currently, you can purchase 40,000 points as a couple to redeem for a 5th night free stay at a category 4 resort on the list. The category 4 hotels listed for this promotion provide only a 30% or 40% rebate and you will receive back 12,000 or 16,000 points.
One of the FAQ states that an award stay including December 20 will receive a rebate for the entire stay. This means a 5th night free stay is possible for Dec 20-25, 2012 and the rebate will apply for the entire stay.
Q: If I have an Award stay that starts prior to October 21, or checks out after December 20, is it still eligible to receive the redemption savings?
A: Yes. As long as one (1) night of the eligible Award stay falls within the promotional period, the registered member will receive 30%, 40% or 50% of his or her Starpoints bonused back for all standard room Free Night Award nights at a participating property during that stay.
Stays booked prior to this promotion are eligible as long as one night of the stay falls within the October 21-December 20 promotion period.
Q: I booked my Award stay months ago, prior to the promotion starting. Am I still eligible for the offer?
A: Yes. As long as the member registers for the promotion and his or her eligible Award stay falls within the promotion period, the member is eligible for the offer. There is no need for a member to cancel and rebook an Award stay.
This offer can be used for multiple award stays during the promotional period.
Q: Is there a limit to the number of times I can take advantage of this offer?
A: Members may take advantage of this offer multiple times, as long as they meet the registration and promotion earning criteria previously described
There are some other FAQ items with explanations that members should read, but I think these are the main points.
This looks like a great promotional opportunity for some members. In general though, this looks like a pitch for SPG whales with huge account balances.
I noticed Google’s daily page design today is celebrating the 161st anniversary of the novel Moby Dick.
Ric Garrido, writer and owner of Loyalty Traveler, shares news and views on hotels, hotel loyalty programs and vacation destinations for frequent guests. You can follow Loyalty Traveler on Twitter and Facebook and RSS feed.