SPG has an Earn Your Dreams promotion for some US and Canada hotels in 21 states and D.C. offering 3,000 points for booking a suite using rate code EYD3K. This offer is available through December 31, 2011. An upgraded room booking earns triple points using rate code EYDTRP.
Each participating hotel has its own criteria for eligible rooms so you need to check the specific hotel to see if it offers triple points, 3,000 suite points, and what room types qualify for each bonus. This offer can be earned unlimited times. Multiple rooms count as one stay for this bonus.
- Rate code EYD3K = 3,000 bonus points per stay for booking a suite.
- Rate code EYDTRP = triple bonus points for booking an upgraded room category.
- Triple points is 4 bonus points + 2 base points for 6 points/$1. Triple points applies to room revenue only.
- Suite or 3x points bonus may be earned unlimited times.
- Multiple rooms booked on one reservation count as one stay.
- Available for stays through December 31, 2011.
SPG Upgrade Promotion Offer link. Offer expires December 31, 2011.
Loyalty Traveler analysis:
3,000 bonus points for booking a suite is quite reasonably a $100 value just for the points when redeemed for a future hotel room. SPG charges $105 to buy 3,000 points. A free night category 2 hotel weekend award costs 3,000 points. Besides getting a much larger room when you book a suite, the 3,000 points basically covers about $100 of the additional cost for the upgraded hotel room.
Four Points Chicago O’Hare Friday 9/16/2011
- AAA = $89.10
- (Total Points = 356 points for room rate with double points fall promotion)
- 3K Suite rate = $179
- (Total Points = 3,358 points for room rate with suite upgrade 3,000 bonus points)
- $90 higher rate earns 3,000 more points. Basically getting a suite and buying points for $30/1,000 points.
- Technically Earn Your Dreams promotion is not combinable with Fall 2x/3x bonus points promotion, but you might be pleasantly surprised and get both bonuses.
Upgraded Room 3x points rate code EYDTRP for the Earn Your Dreams promotion differs from the SPG Fall 2x/3x bonus in that rate code EYDTRP triple points are earned for any night of the week, but only apply to the room rate whereas the SPG Double points/Triple Points Sun or Thursday Fall promotion offer applies to all eligible spend for your stay which means bonus points for dining and possibly other folio expenses.
Triple Points Upgraded Room Cost Analysis at Four Points Chicago O’Hare – Friday, September 16, 2011.
- EYDTRP rate = $109 Deluxe Room, Upper floor x 6 points/$1 = 654 points for $109 room rate.
- AAA rate = $89.10 Traditional Room x 2 points/$1 = 178 points for $89 room rate.
- Paying $20 for 476 extra points for likely the same room design on a higher floor in the hotel.
- This promotion rate earns bonus points at the rate of $46/1,000 points and is a very high premium to pay for little benefit in room upgrade when you can just buy Starpoints for $35/1,000 points.
The Suite is the sweeter deal in this promotion analysis of bonus points earning at the Four Points Chciago O’Hare. The high added nightly cost for a suite rate at many Starwood Hotels will make the 3,000 bonus points not so enticing.