To celebrate its first birthday this week Stash Hotel Rewards is offering Stash member guests 1,000 bonus points for stays at a Stash Rewards hotel partner this week from Monday, May 16 through Friday, May 20.
There are a couple of good bonus opportunities currently running with Stash Hotel Rewards including Loyalty Traveler’s very own new member sign-up link for 1,000 bonus points. Full disclosure: Loyalty Traveler receives no incentive bonus for new members using this link to join Stash Hotel Rewards. Jeff Low, CEO of Stash Hotel Rewards, had lunch with me a few months ago in Monterey and set up this Stash Rewards new member link for 1,000 bonus points as a courtesy to Loyalty Traveler readers.
Affinia Hotels in New York and Chicago offer first time guests 5,000 bonus points for stays through July 31 on reservations booked by May 31, 2011.
Several hotels on the Stash Rewards Specials page currently have free night offers or Double, Triple and 2,000 bonus points offers.
What are Stash Hotel Rewards points worth?
Stash Rewards points are a little more difficult to value than other major hotel loyalty programs due to a dynamic reward night system. Priority Club charges 25,000 points for any Crowne Plaza Hotel all year long and Hilton HHonors charges 40,000 points for a free night at a category 6 hotel all year long. The price is the same whether the travel season is peak season or the middle of the off-season. In contrast Stash Rewards free nights vary in cost depending on the date and the independent hotel’s revenue management rates for the date you are looking to book. In general the price of the reward night will cost more points for any specific hotel on a night when the rate is $250 and fewer points on a night when the rate is $150 points per night. And since each hotel is independent the cost in points for a $200 room rate hotel in one location may not be the same points cost for a $200 hotel in another location.
Monterey Plaza Hotel, Monterey, California
Wednesday May 25-Friday, May 27, 2011
- Inland View Room with Balcony = 31,338 points for 2 nights. $237 per night or $521.90 after tax for Stash Rewards points value = $16.65 per 1,000 points.
- Deluxe Oceanview room with balcony = 67,828 points for 2 nights. $474 per night or $1,043.80 after tax for Stash Rewards points value = $15.39 per 1,000 points.
Friday May 27 – Sunday, May 29
- Inland View Room with Balcony = 35,631 points for 2 nights. $269 per night or $592.36 after tax for Stash Rewards points value = $15.39 per 1,000 points.
- Deluxe Oceanview room with balcony = 77,129 points for 2 nights. $539 per night or $1,186.93 after tax for Stash Rewards points value = $15.39 per 1,000 points.
Earning Stash Hotel Rewards
When valuing points it is important to consider the earn rate which is 5 points per dollar for Stash Rewards. Earning 68,000 points for a 2 night Deluxe Oceanview room with balcony at the Monterey Plaza may take as much as $13,600 in partner hotel spend. Stash Rewards bonus points specials provide opportunities to lower this hotel spend level.
One night with a $474 paid room rate at a Stash Rewards member hotel earns 2,370 points. A member needs 14 paid hotel nights to earn the points for one free night at this property which is about average for hotel loyalty programs when comparing base earn rates. See NerdWallet.com Hotel Rewards Cheat Sheet for a comparison of paid nights needed to earn a free night in major hotel loyalty programs. Remember this kind of comparison does not account for bonus points promotions. And loyalty promotions make a world of difference in how fast members earn free nights in hotel loyalty programs.
Stash Rewards claims it is fastest growing hotel loyalty program over the past year
Stash Hotel Rewards launched in May 2010 with 65 partner hotels in the U.S. One year later the hotel loyalty program for independent hotels has grown to 146 hotels for 125% annual growth in hotel members. Several upscale brands have partnered with Stash Rewards over the past year including some Affinia Hotels with locations in several major cities including New York, Chicago and Washington D.C.
Avia Hotels has properties in Savannah, Georgia, The Woodlands Texas and Long Beach California in addition to its modern hotel in downtown Napa as an alternative to the generally higher priced Westin Verasa Napa and high-cost B&Bs in Napa Valley. River Terrace Inn is adjacent to the Westin Napa and also a Stash Hotel Rewards partner.
My favorite hometown hotel is the Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa on Cannery Row that partnered with Stash Rewards a couple of months ago, as well as Larkspur’s Casa Munras in another popular hotel location in the center of old town Monterey.
Despite industry leading growth for a hotel loyalty program over the past year, Stash remains selective about its hotel partners.
Only the Most Loved
Even during a period of such remarkable growth, Stash continues to be highly selective of potential partners, with a unique focus on guest satisfaction. Over the last year, Stash has turned away more than 400 hotels interested in joining the program, ultimately accepting just 17% of interested properties. The result: a curated network of upscale resorts, landmark hotels, rustic inns, and distinctive business-class properties that represent some of the country’s most-loved hotels. The measure of that love? Stash partner hotels have an average recommend rating of 84% on TripAdvisor, the highest rating among any major hotel loyalty program in North America.
Recently-added Stash hotel partners include:
- Ayres Boutique Suites Ontario Airport, Ontario, CA
- Ayres Hotel – Hawthorne/Manhattan Beach/LAX, Hawthorne, CA
- Ayres Hotel – Laguna Woods, Laguna Woods, CA
- Ayres Hotel & Spa Mission Viejo, Mission Viejo, CA
- Ayres Hotel & Spa Moreno Valle, Moreno Valley, CA
- Ayres Hotel & Suites Costa Mesa-Newport Beach, Costa Mesa, CA
- Ayres Hotel & Suites Ontario Convention Center, Ontario, CA
- Ayres Hotel Chino Hills, Chino Hills, CA
- Ayres Hotel Redlands, Redlands, CA
- Ayres Hotel Seal Beach, Seal Beach, CA
- Ayres Hotel-Anaheim, Anaheim, CA
- Ayres Inn & Suites Ontario Mills Mall, Ontario, CA
- Ayres Inn Alpine, Alpine, CA
- Ayres Inn Corona East, Corona, CA
- Ayres Inn Orange, Orange, CA
- Ayres Suites Corona West, Corona, CA
- Ayres Suites Diamond Bar, Diamond Bar, CA
- Ayres Suites Mission Viejo, Mission Viejo, CA
- Ayres Suites Ontario Mills Mall, Ontario, CA
- Ayres Suites Yorba Linda, Yorba Linda, CA
- Cranwell Resort, Spa, and Golf Club, Lenox, MA
- Genesee Grande Hotel, Syracuse, NY
- Grande Bay Resort, St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands
- Hotel 43, Boise, ID
- Hotel Felix. Chicago, IL
- Hotel Sierra Charlotte Center City, Charlotte, NC
- Hotel Sierra King of Prussia, King of Prussia, PA
- Hotel Sierra Merrifield, Merrifield, VA
- Hotel Sierra San Jose – Silicon Valley, San Jose, CA
- Hotel Skyler, Syracuse, NY
- Hotel Valley Ho, Scottsdale, AZ
- Inn at Great Neck, Great Neck, NY
- Le Montrose Suite Hotel, West Hollywood, CA
- Le Parc Suite Hotel, West Hollywood, CA
- Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa, Monterey, CA
- Parkview Hotel, Syracuse, NY
- River Terrace Inn, Napa, CA
- Riverside Hotel, Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Royal Sonesta Hotel Boston, Cambridge, MA
- Seaport Boston Hotel, Boston, MA
- The Palms Hotel & Spa, Miami Beach, FL
- The Swag, Waynesville, NC
- The Talbott Hotel, Chicago, IL
- Tower 23, San Diego, CA
- Tremont Plaza Hotel, Baltimore, MD
- Viana Hotel and Spa, Westbury, NY