American Airlines AAdvantage program offers car and hotel awards for miles. The hotel awards have some very good redemption values for hotels starting under 10,000 miles per night. Some hotels I checked like Park Hyatt Washington, D.C. were around 24,000 miles for a night in February when the published rate is over $600 per night after tax.
Cash and Miles, beginning at just 1,000 miles is another option for American AAdvantage car and hotel awards. The same Park Hyatt hotel is only 1,000 miles and $281.71 for a free night. This offer gives a whopping $300+ value for 1,000 AA miles or more than 30 cents per mile. This value is near the upper end value of a high value international flight award (equivalent in value to a $30,000 ticket for 100,000 miles).
- These awards are not refundable. Cancel award and you lose miles.
- $30 change fee on awards for date changes or room category changes. Any additional change fees must be paid in cash.
- No changes allowed within 24 hours of reservation.
AAdvantage Elite members
There is a limited time special offer for AAdvantage Platinum and Executive Platinum elite members giving a 20% discount in miles and AAdvantage Gold elites 10% discount in miles.
Sample Hotel Rates: Wednesday, February 16, 2011
- Park Hyatt Washington D.C. = 24,100 miles ($549 published rate = 2.28 cents/mile)
- Four Points = 11,400 miles ($259 published rate= 2.27 cents/mile)
- Washington Hilton = 11,500 miles ($251 published rate = 2.18 cents/mile)
- Sheraton National = 12,600 miles ($205 published rate = 1.63 cents/mile)
- Washington Marriott = 12,900 miles ($121 published rate = 0.94 cents/mile)
Related Loyalty Traveler post: High Hotel Award Value for 1,000 AA miles (Feb 6, 2011) provides examples of hotel award value in the 25 cents to 50 cents per mile range for New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Washington, D.C. and Sydney, Australia.