TopHotel.news has an article looking at the Top 10 hotel brands with new build hotels under construction in the USA. The top nine brands in the list are either a Marriott or Hilton owned hotel brand. Choice Hotels ranks at number 10 with Cambria Suites.
1. Aloft Hotels – Starwood (Marriott) = 44 hotels.
2. Hampton by Hilton = 43 hotels.
3. Residence Inn by Marriott = 33 hotels.
4. Element Hotels – Starwood (Marriott) = 31 hotels.
5. Home2 Suites by Hilton = 30 hotels.
6. Hilton Garden Inn = 29 hotels.
7. Marriott Hotels & Resorts = 28 hotels.
8. AC Hotels (Marriott) = 28 hotels.
9. Tru by Hilton = 28 hotels.
10. Cambria Hotels & Suites = 26 hotels.
294 of 320 hotels (92%) are either Hilton (130 hotels) or Marriott (89 hotels)/Starwood (75 hotels) branded properties.
- Marriott Hotels & Resorts
- AC Hotels
- Cambria Hotels & Suites
- Hilton Garden Inn
- Residence Inn
- Hampton Inn
- Home2 Suites
Tru by Hilton is not yet categorized by STR due to the first hotel in brand opening only last week. STR chain scale ratings are based on actual average room rates data. Tru by Hilton is marketed as a midscale brand, but may end up being in the Upper Midscale category if higher rates are sustainable.
Market trends look to be focused on lower segment brands.
I am surprised to not see Holiday Inn Express in this top 10 list. That brand grows an additional property about every other day. I suppose they are existing USA hotels simply rebranding and not new build HIX hotels.