Flygbussarna is a relatively inexpensive airport bus transportation service for several airports in Sweden. The prevalence of cheap flights to and from USA airports and Stockholm Arlanda with Norwegian Airlines and WOW flights, along with most alliance airlines, provides opportunities to travel between USA airports and Stockholm on the cheap. Sweden is relatively expensive for many American travelers. This post discusses Flygbussarn bus airport transportation options as one of the first ways you can save money in Sweden.
I have flown Norwegian Airlines twice in 2017 from Stockholm Arlanda to Oakland, California one way for $111 and $149.
Stockholm Arlanda Express Train
From Stockholm Arlanda Airport there is Arlanda Express fast train 20-minute service directly from the airport terminal to downtown Stockholm. You will generally pay more than double the ticket price to ride the 20 minute fast train 42 km (26 miles) to Stockholm city center. Arlanda Express is $60.37 USD for a single adult round trip train ticket.
Flygbussarna bus tickets are $22.18 USD round trip with an online purchase.
January 2017, I arrived at Stockholm Arlanda airport and booked my Flygbussarna ticket to Stockholm City on my iPhone as I walked to the bus stop, then scanned my email boarding pass to enter the bus to Stockholm.
Arlanda Express Train Ticket Prices Arlanda Airport – Stockholm City Terminal
- Adult One Way = 280 SEK ($31.30 USD).
- Adult Return = 540 SEK ($60.37 USD).
- Advance Purchase reduces the rate significantly for a single rider:
- Adult One Way 10% discount with 14-day advance purchase = 252 SEK ($28.20 USD).
- Adult One Way 30% discount with 30-day advance purchase = 196 SEK ($21.93 USD).
- Adult One Way 45% discount with 90-day advance purchase = 154 SEK ($17.23 USD).
- Ticket purchase on board train = extra 100 SEK service charge ($8.94 USD).
There are few discounts besides early purchase for a single rider needing only one round trip between Arlanda airport and Stockholm city.
Discount fares are available for Arlanda Express travel Thursday to Sunday when two or more persons travel together.
- Two Persons one-way = 350 SEK ($39.20 or $19.60 USD per rider).
- Three Persons one-way = 450 SEK ($50.40 or $16.80 USD per rider).
- Four Persons one-way = 550 SEK ($61.58 or $15.40 USD per rider).
Flygbussarna Bus Ticket Prices Arlanda Airport – Stockholm City Terminal
- Adult One Way = 99 SEK ($11.09 USD) online purchase.
- Adult Round trip = 198 SEK ($22.18 USD) no discount with online rpound trip purchase.
- Adult One Way = 119 SEK ($13.33 USD) walk up purchase.
- Adult Round Trip = 215 SEK ($24.10 USD) round trip walk up purchase offers 10% discount/
Flygbussarna bus service between Stockholm Arlanda ARN and City Center takes about 45 minutes compared to 20 minutes for Arlanda Express for 99 SEK one way for a single adult with online ticket purchase. Flygbussarna Stockholm City Terminal bus stop is one level up in the same Stockholm city terminal building as Arlanda Express train station platform.
Stockholm Airports: Arlanda ARN, Skavsta NYO, Bromma BMA, Västerås Airport VST.
Stockholm has four airports with Arlanda ARN, Skavsta NYO, Bromma BMA and Västerås Airport VST.
Most international travelers from the USA will likely only transit through Stockholm Arlanda ARN.
Flygbussarna really becomes useful when you need transportation between the city and the other three airports where many low fare airline flights arrive and depart for intra-Scandinavia and intra-Europe flights with carriers like Ryanair and Wizz.
Stockholm Skavsta NYO
- Ryanair FR and Wizz Air W6 flights to 24 cities across Europe.
- Braathens Regional Aviation TF flights in Scandinavia and Sweden.
- Brussels Airlines SN flights to Brussels, Belgium BRU
- Finnair AY flights to Helsinki, Finland HEL
- British Airways BA flights to Aarhus, Denmark AAR (operated by Sun Air)
Stockholm Västerås Airport VST
- Finnair AY flights to Helsinki operated by Nextjet.
- Ryanair FR flights to London Stansted STN, Alicante ALC and Malaga AGP.
- Nextjet 2N to Visby, Sweden VBY and other domestic airports.
Flybussarna also operates bus transportation for Göteborg Landvetter Airport, Malmo MMX and Visby VBY.
Flygbussarna coach bus stop at Stockholm ARN.