Choice Privileges points are on sale for 30% off when you buy 13,000 to 50,000 points during the sale ending July 28, 2015. Regular price is $11.00 per 1,000 points. This sale reduces the price 30% to $7.70 per 1,000 points.
* Transactions must be completed between 12:00 a.m. ET, June 19, 2015, and 11:59 p.m. ET, July 28, 2015, to be eligible for price discount on points. Points will be posted to your Choice Privileges account within 24 hours after your transaction is complete. Members may buy or receive up to a total of 50,000 points in a calendar year. Purchased points do not count toward Elite Status or Lifetime Elite Gold Status.
This is a more straight-forward chance to get started with Choice Privileges points than booking and canceling Cash Plus Points awards with 8,000 points and buying points at $7.50 per 1,000 points to build an account balance.
Loyalty Traveler – Hacking Choice Privileges Reward Nights for Anaheim Disneyland (June 16) describes how you can buy 8,000 points and then build up your account balance booking and canceling Points Plus Cash Award stays buying Choice Privileges points at the rate of $7.50 per 1,000 points.
The current sale allows the purchase of up to 50,000 points for $385.00.
Choice Privileges points have high redemption value at some hotels. I’ll list a couple of recent redemptions I have made in the past month after redeeming over 100,000 Choice Privileges points.
1. Clarion Orlando International Drive 12,000 points per night.
I stayed five nights in a suite at the Clarion Hotel across the street from the Orlando Convention Center. I booked a suite for my stay. Published rate for this room during my stay was $135 per night. Buying 12,000 points in this sale will cost $92.40.
Loyalty Traveler – Choice Privileges competitive edge is suites on points
The Hilton and Hyatt Regency, also near the convention center, had rates around $300 per night. At the current sale rate of $7.70 per 1,000 points, two nights at Clarion Orlando will cost $184.80. The hotel offers free shuttle to DisneyWorld.
2. Quality Inn Placentia-Anaheim (Disneyland area) – 8,000 points
Published rate at time of my stay was $109. Buying 8,000 points will cost $61.60. This hotel is highly rated on TripAdvisor. I will follow up this post with a hotel review of my reward stay at this Quality Inn last weekend.
3. Copenhagen Denmark, Ascend Collection Skt. Petri = 20,000 points.
Published rate for this room was $330 USD per night. Scandinavia is expensive and one of the best values found for Choice Privileges are hotel reward stays in Norway, Sweden and Denmark. 20,000 points cost $154 with the current sale.
Last year I redeemed 212,000 points in Norway for 13 hotel nights with published rates around $5,000 for those nights.
Choice Hotels include the following hotel brands:
- Comfort Inn
- Comfort Suites
- Quality Inn
- Cambria Suites
- Ascend Collection (top end hotels)
- Sleep Inn
- Rodeway Inn
- Suburban Suites
- MainStay Suites