I looked into four car rental bonus offers found on the Club Carlson website and another offer seen on frequentflyerbonuses.com. This post evaluates car rental rates through these Club Carlson bonus points offers available through December 31, 2015.
Club Carlson Car Rental bonus points deals with Alamo, Avis, Budget and National.
- AVIS – Earn 2,500 points per day, up to 10,000 Club Carlson points for any rental in US, Canada, Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands. 10,000 points coupon code = MUHA002. This promotion is good for one day rentals. (No link found).
- AVIS – Earn 9,000 Club Carlson points with an AVIS 3-day or longer rental through December 31, 2015. Avis requires AWD G639300 for Club Carlson and a coupon code: Airport locations 9,000 points = MUHA021
- Budget – Earn 9,000 Club Carlson points with a Budget Rental Car 3-day rental through December 31, 2015. Enter BCD U106509 on the website. This is the Budget Customer Discount code linked to Club Carlson’s offer.
- Alamo Car Rental – Earn 1,500 Club Carlson points per day through December 31, 2015. Use Contract ID 7015940.
- National Car Rental – Earn 1,500 Club Carlson points per day through December 31, 2015. This offer is only for USA and Canada. Use Contract ID 5030270. The rental rate went up $3.00 when I added my Club Carlson number in the section for earning frequent flyer points.
Club Carlson offers some high bonus points for car rentals. Sometimes the Club Carlson contract gives a car rental rate close to or less than you might find otherwise. The ability to earn hefty rebates like 1,500 points per day with Alamo and National car rental and up to 9,000 points with Avis and Budget for a 3-day rental and even 10,000 points on a 4-day rental with Avis make these offers worth evaluating when shopping your own rental car needs. You may find an opportunity to earn thousands of Club Carlson points for a few extra dollars.
I give these offers a rebate value of $7 per day for 1,500 Club Carlson points and even $50+ on a 4-day rental earning 10,000 bonus points. You need to compare the lowest rate available from any source to the bonus points rates. I did that for San Diego and Kelowna, British Columbia 4-day car rentals across four different car rental chains.
10,000 Club Carlson points may save more than $100 on the standard room rates for a Radisson Blu or Park Plaza hotel room rates. 50,000 bonus points buys a Club Carlson Visa card member 2 nights in a Category 6 upper upscale hotel in a city like London or Paris.
10,000 Club Carlson points sell for $70 on the Club Carlson site.
Bottom line is 10,000 Club Carlson points is the same number of base points earned for $500 in hotel spend. There are many places where a three or four day car rental runs $150 to $200 after tax. Earning Club Carlson points can be less costly through car rentals than hotel stays.
Here is a closer look at these five offers.
AVIS Airport Location Rentals 9,000 Points Coupon Code MUHA021 for rentals of three days or more.
AWD Number for Club Carlson = G639300
- Offer of 9,000 total Gold Points is valid on rentals of three days or longer at participating Avis airport locations in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Latin America, the Caribbean, Europe, Africa, the Middle East, Australia and New Zealand.
- Bonus Gold Points are in addition to the base points you receive each time you rent with Avis.
- 9,000 total Gold Points offer reflects 8,250 bonus points plus 750 base points earned.
The deal I found for YWL Airport, Kelowna, British Columbia is $144 for an intermediate car from March 5-9, 2015.
An intermediate car rental from Avis at YWL Airport = $201.07 total after tax. About $50 per day to have a car and venture out into the vineyards and wilderness of British Columbia and earn a 9,000 Club Carlson points rebate on the $200 car rental. That looks like a good deal.
FrequentFlyerBonuses.com and LoyaltyLobby.com list a 10,000 points rental car bonus points offer from Club Carlson as a 2015 extension of the same offer in 2014. The primary offer on the Club Carlson website is 9,000 points on a 3-day or longer Avis rental. This is 8,250 bonus points + 750 normal rental points for 9,000 Club Carlson points.
I did not find a direct link to the Club Carlson Avis 10K offer, but it worked when I checked Kelowna, British Columbia Canada and found the 10,000 bonus points offer for a 4-day car rental by entering MUHA002 in the coupon code box.
The same rates are same as when I used MUHA021 for 9,000 points on an Avis rental.
Here are main T&C for the Avis 10,000 points offer as posted on Loyalty Lobby. These rentals add up to 2,500 points per day, up to 10,000 points per rental, after bonus points per rental are added to the 750 Club Carlson points normally earned per rental.
- 1,750 bonus points is valid on rentals of 1 day in the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- 4,250 bonus points is valid on rentals of 2 days in the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- 6,750 bonus points is valid on rentals of 3 days in the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- 9,250 bonus points is valid on rentals of 4+ days in the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- Bonus Gold Points are in addition to the base points you receive each time you rent with Avis. 10,000 total Gold Points offer reflects maximum of 9,250 bonus points plus 750 base points earned.
- Rental must begin by December 31, 2015.
Budget Car Rental offers same 9,000 Club Carlson points for 3-day airport location rental in USA/Canada
Budget has the same 9,000 Club Carlson points on a 3-day rental. I checked Kelowna YWL Airport for same March dates to find the same car category significantly less on the Budget site compared to Avis. An intermediate car was $152 and a full size car at $165 after tax.
Budget is 25% less than Avis for a rental over the same dates from the same airport for the same car type with the same 9,000 Club Carlson points.
National Car Rental 1,500 points per day.
For National Car Rental rates with 1,500 Club Carlson points per day, I checked San Diego for same dates March 5-9, 2015. Assume you take a 7-day rental and the 1,500 points per day will offer a greater bonus of 10,500 points.
The 4-day rental came out to $201.70 for a Toyota RAV-4 and when I entered my Club Carlson number the rate increased $3 to $204.70 due to frequent flyer surcharge. That is 50 cents per 1,000 points for the 6,000 Club Carlson points earned on a 4-day rental. Still a good deal.
The last line item in Additional Items is Frequent Traveler Surcharge $3.00.
Alamo Rental Car 1,500 Club Carlson points per day in 2015 Contract Code 7015940
Similar to the Budget and Avis rental rates, I found Alamo to be slightly lower than National for the same car rental at the same Airport San Diego SAN for the same dates. But only a few dollars lower.
Alamo prices at $196.44 for the same car type as National prices at $204.70 with the same rental period.
Great Club Carlson Bonus Points Offers, however, you may find significantly lower rates elsewhere that cancel out the value of bonus points.
Bottom line is there are some good bonus points opportunities with Club Carlson and these four car rental companies of Alamo, Avis, Budget and National.
A quick check of Kayak showed 4-day rentals at San Diego Airport March 5-9 as low as $100 to $110 after tax with Payless, Fox and Sixt and some other sites. Alamo had a Premium car like a Chrysler 300 with a Kayak.com discount rate of $172.11 after tax.
The $165 full-size car rental from Budget in Kelowna YWL Airport, British Columbia can be dropped down to $148.94 through Hotwire.com for same full-size Chevy Impala. In this case, I would take 9,000 Club Carlson points for an extra $16 in car rental fees.
You need to check your own destinations to determine if these Club Carlson bonus points promotions offer good value for your car rental needs.