This is the second year where IHG points did not sell out in the Daily Getaways offer today. I suspected this would happen after last year’s IHG points did not sell out either. And next week there is another day of IHG points on U.S. Travel Association’s Daily Getaways. That is still about $300 for a 50,000 points category 9 award night. Or $30 per night for a PointBreaks award night. Those are cheap nights for PointBreaks hotels and 50,000 points will buy 10 nights.
The new list of PointBreaks award nights through July 31, 2014 will post Tuesday, May 27.
I stayed in a PointBreaks hotel last weekend at Holiday Inn Express South Stockton-Lathrop on my way to the Sierra Gold Country in California. I thought of it as a $31.50 hotel room based on points I have bought through Points & Money cancelled awards at $35 per 5,000 points. As IHG Rewards Club Platinum I got 500 points back as an amenity for the stay.
IHG Rewards Club 15,000 points = $100 at $6.67 per 1,000 points.
- $90 with American Express payment at $6.00 per 1,000 points.
- Maximum purchase is 5 sets of points for 75,000 points.
IHG Rewards Club 25,000 points = $167 at $6.68 per 1,000 points.
- $150.30 with American Express payment at $6.01 per 1,000 points..
- Maximum purchase is 4 sets of points for 100,000 points.
IHG Rewards Club 50,000 points = $325 at $6.50 per 1,000 points.
- $292.50 with American Express payment at $5.85 per 1,000 points.
- Maximum purchase is 4 sets of points for 200,000 points.
IHG Rewards Club 100,000 points = $630 at $6.30 per 1,000 points.
- $567.00 with American Express payment at $5.67 per 1,000 points.
- Maximum purchase is 3 sets of points for 300,000 points.
An IHG Rewards Club member could possibly buy 675,000 IHG Rewards Club points for $3,922.20.
The best offer is 100,000 points for $567 for a 19% discount on the price to buy points with IHG Points & Money cancelled award nights for $700 to buy 100,000 points.
I have no doubt that I could find well over $600 in redemption value with 100,000 points. I just hate to tie up $567 on points with no immediate plan for their use. I think 50,000 points is a good hedge at $300 for my award needs this next year. And I can always pick up more points at $70 per 10,000 points if I need more, as long as IHG Rewards Club lets the Points & Money award cancellation option remain a discount points purchase opportunity.