Most of the major chains have hotel brands designed for extended stay living in an apartment style hotel complex. The primary difference between extended stay hotels and regular hotels with full suites is a kitchen in the room and laundry room facilities on the property for self-service washing.
Extended stay hotels are places where you can simply drop in for a one-night stay or settle in for weeks at a time. This hotel market segment seems like the way to go for family travel where one higher-priced room with two or three beds can accommodate 4 to 6 guests.
Extended stay hotel brands cover a range of hotel market segments from upscale to economy. Another component of extended stay brands are timeshare vacation properties available for booking through the hotel chain’s website. Time share units can approach the luxury market segment in quality and price, whether paying cash or paying with points.
Here is an overview of some of the major brands designed for extended hotel stays in an apartment style room with some sort of kitchen for making meals.
The focus of this post is extended stay hotel brands in the USA. Most of the major hotel chains have few extended stay brand hotels outside the USA, except for high-end vacation timeshare properties and corporate apartments.
Overview of Extended Stay Hotel Brands in the Major Chains
Marriott International is the hotel chain with the most extended stay hotels. Marriott has three extended stay brands in addition to its timeshare Marriott Vacations properties. This post is focused on the hotel brands rather than timeshare or corporate apartments.
- Residence Inn – upscale with 622 hotels USA and another 23 international.
- TownePlace Suites – upper midscale in 232 locations in USA and 2 hotels currently in Canada.
- Marriott Executive Apartments – upper upscale lodging in over 20 urban areas of 16 countries outside the USA.
- Springhill Suites – upscale with 305 hotels nearly all in USA with 2 in Canada (only some hotels offer rooms with kitchen/kitchenette).
- Marriott Vacation Club – 63 properties with timeshare residences available to rent and book with points.
Hilton Worldwide has two extended stay brands and a time share brand.
- Homewood Suites upscale extended stay brand with over 200 hotels.
- Home2 Suites upper midscale extended stay brand with 32 hotels in USA. Hilton’s newest brand.
- Hilton Grand Vacations 59 properties worldwide with timeshare units.
- Embassy Suites offer two room suites in over 200 locations, however, the set-up is not really an extended stay brand since most rooms do not offer a kitchen. Cooked-to-order breakfast and evening reception may satisfy much of your dining needs.
InterContinental Hotels Group
- Staybridge Suites is an upscale extended stay brand with 200 locations offering studio, one bedroom and two bedroom suites with kitchens.
- Candlewood Suites is a midscale extended stay brand with 309 hotels. Offering Studio and one bedroom suites with kitchens.
Hyatt Hotels has one extended stay brand and vacation timeshares
- Hyatt House is an upscale extended stay brand with 58 USA locations (formerly Summerfield Suites and Sierra Suites).
- Hyatt Residence Club (time share residences) with 16 properties in USA and Puerto Rico.
Starwood Hotels has one extended stay brand.
- Element is an upscale extended stay brand with 11 open properties and 4 more hotels opening in 2014.
Choice Hotels has two extended stay brands
- MainStay Suites (43 hotels) midscale extended stay brand.
- Suburban Extended Stay (63 hotels – economy segment extended stay brand.)
- Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham is a midscale extended stay brand with 79 hotels with 2 outside USA in Abuja, Nigeria and Dubai, UAE.
Extended Stay America is an economy market segment hotel brand I see around the USA, but I have never stayed there.
Best Western and Carlson Rezidor Hotels do not have a dedicated extended stay brand.
There are several extended stay hotel brands left out of this overview. These are the major brands in the most popular hotel loyalty programs.
These hotel brands offer kitchens and laundry and several even have a complimentary breakfast included. Housekeeping tends to be a weekly event for extended stay hotels.
One drawback is many of these brands offer fewer base points in the hotel loyalty program like Marriott Residence Inn and TownePlace Suites earn only 5 points/$1 rather than 10 points/$1 of other brands. IHG Rewards Club also earns 5 points/$ for extended stay brands of Staybridge and Candlewood Suites. Hilton Home2Suites has unique low earning limits for HHonors compared to its other brands. Elite welcome amenity points at Hyatt House and Starwood Element is 50% of their full-service brands.
Ric Garrido of Monterey, California is writer and owner of Loyalty Traveler.
Loyalty Traveler shares news and views on hotels, hotel loyalty programs and vacation destinations for frequent guests.