Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants boutique chain has partnered with PUBLIC, a San Francisco boutique bicycle company to provide bikes for complimentary guest access at Kimpton Hotels nationwide. PUBLIC has designed a Kimpton-brand bicycle.
The Kimpton bike will be easy to spot on the street with its custom cherry-red frame with orange and blue accents, cream tires, matching double walled rims, brass bell, and rear basket that can be filled with tasty picnic fare by Kimpton’s award-winning chefs and available for purchase at each hotel. The three-speed European-inspired street cruisers, with their appealing blend of classic design and modern, vibrant hues, make it fun to go out for a spin whether a novice or expert cyclist.
The last hotel where I stayed that offered bicycles on-site was charging a whopping $25 per day for a bike rental. I recall the first time I went to Dresden, Germany in 2000 and the train station rented pink bicycles for the equivalent of $3.00 per day. I rode a lot of cobblestone lanes and even rode most of the way along the Elbe River to the Czech Republic before jumping on a train with the bike and heading back to Dresden.
I’d love to see Kimpton cities around the USA from a bicycle viewpoint. Aspen, Colorado even has more than 30 miles of dedicated bike trails.
Ride and drink on Santa Barbara’s Urban Wine Trail
“Urban Wine Trail” package at Kimpton’s Canary Hotel, Santa Barbara
Kimpton’s Canary Hotel provides guests self-guided ways to sip in the city and the shore. Guests can casually explore the collection of local tasting rooms on the Santa Barbara Urban Wine Trail from the seat of a Kimpton PUBLIC bike, all located within blocks of each other. The “Urban Wine Trail package” includes:
- Deluxe accommodations at The Canary Hotel
- Wine and cheese amenity upon arrival
- Maps with discounts to local urban tasting rooms
Ride to Race the GM
“Bike with the GM” at Kimpton’s Hotel Monaco Washington, D.C.
Developed by hotel General Manager Ed Virtue, himself an avid biker who rides over 30 miles to work by bike, the “Bike with the GM” program features a variety of offerings including:
- “Ed’s top 25 rides under 25 miles”: Guests can take advantage of a Garmin Edge 800 touch screen GPS loaded with Virtue’s top 25 biking excursions in the DC/VA region.
- “Race the GM”: Bikers with a competitive spirit can opt to “Race the GM” where the GPS allows you to race against Virtue’s best times for each ride. Those who beat him can choose a small reward from the front desk, ranging from protein bars and goodies to a Camelbak water bottle etc.
- “Bike with the GM” Wednesdays: Virtue invites guests to take a spin with him on Wednesdays, from 4:30pm – 5:30pm. Rides include a scenic tour of Washington’s monuments and historic sites or rides along the Potomac River or through Rock Creek Park.
Kimpton Hotels are places where I usually see guests having fun. A complimentary bike during a hotel stay is a healthy and appreciated benefit for guests and my idea of a fun way to travel and sightsee.
I have not been in a Kimpton Hotel this year. I think it is time to check in again and check out this new bike program.
Ric Garrido, writer and owner of Loyalty Traveler, shares news and views on hotels, hotel loyalty programs and vacation destinations for frequent guests.