SPG Better by the Night is the newly announced promotion. Starwood Preferred Guest offers double Starpoints, 4 points per $1, on 1 or 2 night stays from October 1 through December 20, 2012. Stay 3 nights or more and earn triple points, 6 points per $1.
Bonus points are in addition to the additional 2 points per $1 using the SPG American Express card to pay for the hotel stays and 1 bonus point per $1 for SPG Gold or Platinum elite status.
About 10% of Starwood Hotels are not participating in this offer. The list is not fixed though. Starwood Lurker has posted several hotels that decided to opt in over the past day and more may follow. See the August 23 list of hotels not participating in this offer at the end of this post.
You will earn from 4 to 10 points per $1 during the SPG promotion.
- 4 points per $1 on 1 or 2 night stays.
- 6 points per $1 on 3 or more night stays.
- 2 points per $1 if hotel paid with SPG American Express.
- 1 point per $1 if Gold or Platinum elite.
- 1 point if super Platinum (75 nights/year)
Plus Online or iPhone App Booking Bonus
- 250 bonus points for eligible stays booked on spg.com
- 500 bonus points for eligible stays booked on SPG app for iPhone.
Promotion registration is required by November 30. The registration page currently is not active, but the T&C and FAQ are posted for this offer on the page. You can request a text message to notify you when the registration page goes live.
- Bookings made prior to promotion registration are eligible for bonus points as long as member registers before completing the stay within the promotion period October 1 – December 20, 2012.
Loyalty Traveler Analysis
The value of this promotion depends on your travel lifestyle.
A business traveler SPG elite staying 3 nights on a $1,000 hotel bill will love this offer when collecting 9,000 points on a single stay. That is like a $300 rebate on a hotel stay you likely didn’t pay for out of pocket.
A 5-night vacation getaway for a leisure travel couple spending $1,500 will have a nice bonus of 14,000 points when paying with the American Express card as SPG Gold elite on a reservation booked over your iPhone. Those points can be redeemed for $500 in hotel credit with a good value SPG Cash & Points award stay.
The one night guest with no elite status, no SPG American Express card and no iPhone, staying on a $150 Westin rate, might not find 850 Starpoints to be much of a rebate for the hotel stay. Certainly better though than earning 300 points on a $150 Westin stay without this promotion.
Double and Triple Points Promotions
Hotel loyalty promotions based on double or triple points favor the high spender.
This SPG promotion also favors the extended stay with triple points for hotel stays of three nights or more.
SPG iPhone app bonus points
There is a major tie-in to the Apple iPhone with this SPG promotion. SPG members get 500 bonus points per reservation by downloading and booking the hotel stay through the iPhone app.
Reservations booked on spg.com earn 250 points. I have to wonder if SPG is only offering the 250 points spg.com online booking bonus simply to appease the outcry that the program discriminates in favor of iPhone users.
The booking bonus is an interesting twist. Club Carlson has offered booking bonuses for the past 18 months, but most hotel chains stopped booking bonuses years ago.
The 250 points spg.com or 500 points iPhone booking bonus favors the one night stay traveler.
Example: Assume 5 stays of $100 per night during the promotion period.
$500 Starwood Spend
- Earn 1,000 base points ($500 hotel spend).
- Earn 1,000 bonus points (double points).
- Earn 1,250 booking bonus points spg.com or earn 2,500 booking bonus points SPG iPhone app.
Online booking bonus with the iPhone app generates more points than $500 in hotel spend after five 1-night $100 stays:
4,500 points for $500 in hotel spend is a decent rebate with 2,000 points for the Starwood stays and 2,500 points for booking the stays on an iPhone.
Example: Assume one stay of 5 nights at $100 per night during the promotion period:
$500 Starwood Spend
- Earn 1,000 base points.
- Earn 2,000 bonus points (triple points).
- Earn 250 points from spg.com booking.
3,250 points for a single 5-night stay spending $500 shows the real value with this promotion is the online booking bonus that earns 1,250 more points for the same $500 spend on five 1-night stays.
Looks like this promotion has something for everybody, unless you are in a location with several nonparticipating hotels.
Don’t have an iPhone?
Might be worth sharing your passion for points and miles with an iPhone friend who can help you book the stays,
My challenge is loading the iPhone app onto my iPad which appears to be possible according to the FlyerTalk thread on this SPG Better by the Night offer.
SPG Better by the Night — Non-Participating Hotels and Resorts
Below is a list of hotels and resorts that are NOT participating in the Better by the Night promotion. (as of August 23 – subject to change)
- Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel
- The Westin Palo Alto
- Palace Hotel, San Francisco
- Sheraton Sunnyvale Hotel
- Sheraton Anaheim Hotel
- Le Parker Méridien Palm Springs
- The Westin Verasa Napa
- Four Points by Sheraton San Jose Downtown
- The Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa at Beaver Creek Mountain
- Walt Disney World Dolphin
- Walt Disney World Swan
- Four Points by Sheraton Destin-Fort Walton Beach
- The Westin Tampa Bay
- The St. Regis Atlanta
- Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, Waikiki Beach
- Sheraton Waikiki
- Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers
- The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago
- The Westin Chicago River North
- The Westin Chicago North Shore
- W Chicago-Lakeshore
- W Chicago-City Center
- The Tremont Chicago Hotel at Magnificent Mile
- Sheraton Louisville Riverside Hotel
- Sheraton Metairie – New Orleans Hotel
- The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit
- The Westin Edina Galleria
- Four Points by Sheraton Kansas City Airport
- The Westin Princeton at Forrestal Village
- The Manhattan at Times Square
- W New York-Union Square
- Le Parker Méridien New York
- W New York
- Sheraton Great Valley Hotel
- Sheraton Erie Bayfront Hotel
- Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel
- Four Points by Sheraton Knoxville Cumberland House Hotel
- The Westin Galleria Houston
- Aloft Las Colinas
- The Westin Houston, Memorial City
- Aloft Plano
- W Austin
- Aloft Frisco
- Sheraton Salt Lake City Hotel
- The Westin Washington Dulles Airport
- The Westin Bellevue
- Four Points by Sheraton Downtown Seattle Center
International Starwood Hotels
- Lilianfels Resort, Blue Mountains
- Echoes Resort, Blue Mountains
- Four Points by Sheraton Panoramahaus Dornbirn
- The Westin Dhaka
- Sheraton Sao Paulo WTC Hotel
- Four Points by Sheraton Curitiba
- The Westin Ottawa
- The Great Wall Sheraton Hotel Beijing
- Sheraton Chengdu Lido Hotel
- Sheraton Dongguan Hotel
- Sheraton Changsha Hotel
- The Westin Guangzhou
- Sheraton Urumqi Hotel
- Sheraton Guangzhou Hotel
- Aloft Beijing, Haidian
- Sheraton Shunde Hotel
- Le Méridien Shimei Bay Beach Resort & Spa
- Aloft Nanhai, Foshan
- Four Points by Sheraton Luohe
- The Westin Pazhou
- Sheraton Bogota Hotel
- Four Points by Sheraton Medellin
- Four Points by Sheraton Cali
- Four Points by Sheraton Munich Olympiapark
- Four Points by Sheraton Munich Central
- Le Méridien Munich
- Sheraton Munich Westpark Hotel
- The Westin Bellevue, Dresden
- The Westin Grand Munich
- The Westin Leipzig
- Le Méridien Stuttgart
- Sheraton Hanover Pelikan Hotel
- Sheraton Munich Arabellapark Hotel
- Sheraton Rhodes Resort
- Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel & Towers
- Le Méridien Budapest
- ITC Maurya, New Delhi
- The Westin Gurgaon, New Delhi
- ITC Kakatiya, Hyderabad
- ITC Sonar, Kolkata
- Le Méridien Pune
- The Westin Sohna Resort & Spa
- Sheraton Firenze Hotel & Conference Center
- Kobe Bay Sheraton Hotel & Towers
- The Westin Osaka
- Sheraton Miyako Hotel, Tokyo
- Sheraton Amman Al Nabil Hotel & Towers
- Sheraton Kuwait Hotel & Towers
- Four Points by Sheraton Kuwait
- Four Points by Sheraton Le Verdun
- Sheraton Langkawi Beach Resort
- Four Points by Sheraton Langkawi Resort
- Sheraton Karachi Hotel
- Sheraton Palace Hotel, Moscow
- Sheraton Jeddah Hotel
- Sheraton Riyadh Hotel & Towers
- Sheraton Dammam Hotel & Towers
- Le Méridien Medina
- The St. Regis Singapore
- The Westin Chosun, Seoul
- Sheraton Incheon Hotel
- Sheraton Taipei Hotel
- Le Méridien Taipei
- W Istanbul
- Sheraton Istanbul Ataköy Hotel
United Arab Emirates
- Le Méridien Abu Dhabi
- Aloft Abu Dhabi
- Le Méridien Al Aqah Beach Resort
- Grosvenor House, Dubai
- Al Sondos Suites by Le Méridien
- Le Méridien Dubai
- Le Méridien Mina Seyahi Beach Resort & Marina
- Le Royal Méridien Beach Resort & Spa
- The Westin Dubai Mina Seyahi Beach Resort & Marina
- Le Méridien Fairway
- The Lanesborough, a St. Regis Hotel
- Sheraton Sana’a Hotel
Ric Garrido, writer and content owner of Loyalty Traveler, shares news and views on hotels, hotel loyalty programs and vacation destinations for frequent guests. You can follow Loyalty Traveler on Twitter and Facebook and RSS feed.