Most major hotel loyalty programs offer members the choice to earn airline miles instead of points and Amtrak Guest Rewards generally is included as a travel partner under the miles option. The ability to earn Amtrak Guest Rewards points from hotel stays and the option for Amtrak credit card members and Amtrak elite members to transfer Amtrak points to Choice Privileges, Hilton HHonors or Continental OnePass miles makes Amtrak Guest Rewards a useful currency.
Amtrak points will get you a train ticket starting at 1,000 points, but typically 5,500 points for a one zone coach ticket. A sleeper bedroom with toilet and shower and meals included for 20,000 Amtrak points can be a much better deal than earning air miles for that 25,000 mile plane ticket from your hotel stays.
- Choice Privileges = 250 Amtrak Guest Rewards points per stay.
- Hilton HHonors Points and Fixed Miles = 500 points per stay, except Hampton Inn, Homewood Suites earn 100 points per stay. Home2Suites does not offer Points and Fixed Miles earning option.
- Hilton HHonors Points and Variable Miles = 1 point per $1 in hotel spend. Home2 Suites earn a maximum limit of 100 points per stay.
- Hyatt Gold Passport = 500 points per stay.
- La Quinta Inns & Suites = 250 points per stay.
- La Quinta Inns & Suites Promotion Special June 1-September 30, 2011 = 750 points/stay.
- Omni Hotels & Resorts = 500 points per stay. (Omni offered a promotion from March 21-Sep 5, 2011 for 5,000 bonus points after three stays.)
- Starwood Preferred Guest = Direct Deposit conversion of Starpoints to Amtrak Guest Rewards points on 1:1 basis is an option. Note that this is not a good option as SPG points have better value in my opinion. SPG members can convert Starpoints 1:1 to Amtrak points with transfers required to be in 5,000 point blocks, however, this option does not include a 25% bonus given with airline miles for 20,000 Starpoints transfer.
- Wyndham Rewards = 2 points per dollar at Ramada®, Days Inn®, Super 8®, Wingate® by Wyndham, Baymont Inns and Suites®, Microtel Inns & Suites®, Howard Johnson®, Travelodge® (US hotels only) and Knights Inn®. Stays at Wyndham Hotels earn 500 points per stay.
Best Western Rewards, Club Carlson, IHG Priority Club Rewards and Marriott Rewards do not have travel partner agreements with Amtrak Guest Rewards.
Amtrak Guest Rewards 50% bonus on purchased points Sep 1-30 (Loyalty Traveler Sep 2, 2011).
Amtrak Guest Rewards Fall Double Points Promotion September 7-November 23, 2011.