Starwood Hotels Starpicks are limited time offer nonrefundable rates that you either use or lose your full prepayment cost for the room reservation.
In general, I was not impressed by rates at hotels I checked. These are by no means low rates in terms of historical low rates for the past year at hotels I searched.
Westin Mammoth Lakes = $149. I have seen that rate regularly over past few months.
The Palace San Francisco = $189. The Starwood Hotels in San Francisco seem to have jumped weekend rates by over 25% in 2011 compared to 2010. Occupancy has been high in this popular international tourist and conference destination. I look for rates under $150 at the Palace and they still happen occasionally.
Rates for Colorado hotels I checked frequently in July are basically the same low rates I saw last month.
Westin Riverfront Mountain Resort & Spa Beaver Creek, Avon (near Vail) was $189 standard rate or $170.10 with AAA rate in July and $179 Starpicks rate in this offer.
Sheraton Denver West is $79 and I paid $76 AAA rate in July with day of arrival no penalty cancellation option.
Element Denver Park Meadows is $71 as Starpicks. I paid $80 for a week of arrival reservation, but the AAA rate had been $71 just a few days before my booking.
AAA rates I booked in Colorado typically had “day of until 6pm” or “one day before arrival cancellation”.
Calendar function is not working correctly on my computer when using IE9.0.1. Dates disappear as I hover mouse over calendar. Very touchy feature that I had quite a problem with when trying to search hotels for Starpicks rates. I required slowly surgical precision to move mouse over the calendar and select dates before a large portion of the calendar decided to disappear. Mess up and the only way to get the calendar dates showing again was to start search over. This truly was hunting for low rates.
Starpicks are nonrefundable rates that you either use or lose your full prepayment cost for the room reservation.
My general advice is minimize your exposure to prepaid, nonrefundable rates at every opportunity when booking hotel rooms.
Use it or lose it rates offer some savings sometimes, but the overall savings is generally wiped out after one or two missed nights due to airport delays, bad weather, meeting cancellations and changes, and other factors that are often out of your control.
In the past I have often found the Starpicks rate to be a really low rate for some hotels I’ve stayed. Starwood Hotels seems to have formalized the Starpicks offers into a nice webpage offer, but the savings now seem more like a typical Hilton Hotels sale that really isn’t a sale. The Starpicks rates are low if you were planning a stay, but probably not so low that you should plan a nonrefundable stay just for these rates.
Starpicks Terms and Conditions
- Rates are valid at participating properties only for the book and stay period specified on the offer, and are subject to availability at the time of reservation. A limited number of rooms may be available at these rates and additional
restrictions and blackout dates apply.
- Guests must arrive on a Thursday, Friday, or Saturday at hotels over the following six (6) weekends following the Tuesday launch of the sale. Blackout dates may apply at some hotels and availability may be limited on some weekends. Stays including a Sunday night require a two-night stay including a Saturday night.
- Resorts do not have arrival day or minimum stay requirements. Guests must arrive over the following
six (6) weeks following the Tuesday launch of the sale.
- Length of stay restrictions apply to all properties. For hotels, the maximum stay is four nights (Thursday-Sunday) and for resorts the maximum stay is fourteen nights (Thursday – two Wednesday nights later). Not all hotels will have Thursday and/or Sunday nights available and not all resorts will have Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights available.
- Advance purchase required. Credit card will be charged at time of booking. Cancellations are non-refundable; if cancellation takes place, guests forfeit total room charge plus tax.
Mar del Plata
- Four Points by Sheraton Toronto Lakeshore
- Le Méridien King Edward
- Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel
- Sheraton Gateway Hotel in Toronto International Airport
- Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel & Conference Centre
- The Westin Bristol Place Toronto Airport
- The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto
- The Westin Prince, Toronto
Baja California Sur
Panama, Republic of Panama
Lake Buena Vista
Lake Buena Vista
Port St. Lucie